My dad has a small problem with his tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
I asked you this a few weeks ago and you didn't answer, so I'll ask again, how big is your pond? A heater is not going to heat all the water in your pond unless it is incredibly tiny. Just think of the logistics of getting a heater to heat hundreds of gallons of water, it simply isn't a matter of sticking a heater in the water like in an aquarium. Usually pond heaters just float on the top and keep a hole in the ice open for gases to escape, but that is not enough warmth to raise the temp of the pond. What state are you located in?

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
When plecos stop moving and don't eat, it means they aren't healthy, and could very well mean they're dying. This is almost always a result of being kept in too small a tank, or not performing enough water changes (and often, as in your case, both).

Plecos are tropical fish, and will not survive in a cold pond.

Ponds (aside from those along the equator in actual "tropical" areas) are for COLD water fish ONLY. You can't heat a pond of decent size, regardless of whether or not you add a "pond" heater. To be technical, it could be done, but it would be extremely expensive. If you and your dad aren't willing to spend the money on a properly sized tank, you certainly can't afford to heat a pond.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
He ate the algae wafers I gave him, I gave him 3 more when I came home from work. He's moving around again, guess he was waiting for the algae wafers. I may have a few days off and I'm going to call up this place to see if they'll take him, its a very nice petstore, sells mostly fish and supplies. I hope they can take him. I just have to call and see.

I believe the pond is close to 1000g, but I'm not sure, it's hand made and is a decent size. I put 3 bluegills in the pond last year, one died from a fungus, another died during the winter. It's full of goldfish, but some died during the winter months.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
If you have had your Pleco for a "few years" then chances are it is stunted and will die as a result of it. I have the same species pleco as yours and mine is about 5 years old and about 15". They are one fish that really never stops growing but growth does slow with age. They do NOT eat algae all their life and as they get older do need more variety. I buy catfish pellets of different types to provide the variety. Some are vegetable based, some krill, some algae, etc. Some places refer to it as bottom feeder foods. As far as movement goes, they should move several times a day although they don't just go for a swim like other fish do. They are fairly sedentary in their habits but don't kid yourself on how fast they can move when they need to. They are very fast if they are healthy.

Your pond is not fit for a pleco as alredy mentioned. The water will be too cold and will kill it unless water temp is up near 80.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I'm going to take the pleco to a pet store near my grandparents soon. They have an indoor pond that has large catfish in it and some large plecos as well. I only have the algae wafers nothing esle, but I did buy a Bristlenose which seems to be a better size for my tank I think. I may also have to rehome my small angel, he been harrassing my gourmai and larger angel, he attacks the other angel and chases the gourmai into hiding.

I may take both the pleco and smaller angel to the pet store near my grandparents..

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
You shouldn't buy more fish before you rehome your current problem-fish... Every time you put a new fish in there, you have a possibility of making things worse. You need to figure out what your going to do. Your swinging from being overstocked to not, and yet your buying more fish. Your angel is most likley being so aggressive because your overstocked.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Your sitting here ignoring what I'm saying. The angels are getting aggressive because there is not enough room in your tank for everything that is still in there.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
Most of my swordtails are gone, been rehomed. I'm going to rehome the pleco, small angelfish and I guess the spotted rapheal catfish aswell. I'm trying to make my tank better then it is now, I have to get more plants for both of my tanks still.

I want to keep my large angelfish since I really like her colors and finnage, she grew to full size in my old 30g, which suprised my dad.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
You want to make this simple?

1) Do not get any more fish.
2) Do Wc's every single week. Do it on the same day and make it a routine, every week that day. I do mine on sundays, all 4 tanks I do at least 30%. I am a full time student in molecular and microbiology and work 20hrs as a vet tech, time for you is certainly not an issue. One of my tanks is a 75gallon, so it certainly takes more time than to do a 40 gallon.
3) Clean your filters every other week during your WC, it is just collecting junk you have to empty it to remove it from the aquarium.
4) Get rid of all your swordtails as im sure they will have more babies and you wont take care of it again. Get rid of everything except your large angel, BN pleco, and if you still have corries a couple of them. Really in a 40 gallon tank a pair of angels with a pleco would be a fine stocking especially since you dont seem to want to take care of your tank having a light sort of light stocking will make your life and the fishs life easier.
5) Stop making excuses, if you want to have fish take care of them. You and your dad have really bad fish care habbits

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store