my dad wants to set up a pond... need some... (well i need something)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

K_S_W_I_S_S

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Needles, CA
www.picturetrail.com
im not sure of the size right now ( i will get measurements tomorrow). how exactly is a pond set up??? i have heard about drain holes (or something like that), what are they? and would it be ok to make the pond just a square hole (with the liner of course)? should i cycle a pond like i would cycle a fish tank?? if so, how much ammonia should i use? and where is a good place to buy a pond liner and a pond filter (for cheap)? would it be a good idea to make it like 3 ft deep or should i make it more shallow (to see the fish better)? and i will find out how much money we are going to spend on it tomorrow also. all he said is that he wants to make a pond and he showed me where. so, i will tell you more info tomorrow...

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
its 4-21-2003 so where the info you said youd have. Also what kind of fish are you thinking of. I say 2000gal of amonia sounds just right wont have to worry about hereons but then your fish might not make it. LOL. Nah give more info. Size and stuffs.

K_S_W_I_S_S

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Needles, CA
www.picturetrail.com
do you mean 2k gallons of ammonia??? and im not sure yet, cuz my dad is still at work (about the info)... and i want to put my 7-8 inch oscar, 7 cons, and an arius seemanni (brackish catfish) in there... and also a gtoldfish my dad has and 2 (channel or flathead) catfish... (until they get huge)... and i didnt know the catfish was brackish until after i bought it.... i want to put some more cichlids and other fish in it too.. my dad wants some pacus also, but im not sure about those (dont they get 5 ft)???

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
you are going to need to make it deep since you live in the desert. how will you keep it warm in winter? you dont need to cycle it just stock it slow and use old filter media/water changes to get everything going. basic pond filters are easy to build you can get everything for less than 50 bucks without the pump that you can get off big als. we need more info -john oh and i dont think pacus would get that big.

thalassic park

AC Members
Apr 3, 2003
Perth, Western Australia
Visit site
ponds

Hi,
It needs to be deep enough to protect the fish from the sun & so that the water doesn't get to hot. > 75 cm deep if in full sun.

A simple construction method.
Place railway sleepers to form a rectangle. 2 or 3 high for depth. Spread 'shade cloth' out over the pond. Nail the the 'shade cloth' to the sleepers on the outside of the pond on the bottom row, pulling the cloth so that it is relatively tight over the pond. This will make like a hammock suspended over the rectangle. When the cloth is secured (nailed), sheet plastic can be spread out over the 'shade cloth'. The plastic is filled with water. As it fills, it places weight over the shade cloth, pulling the shade cloth tight. The shadecloth then pulls the railway sleepers together. The edges of the plastic can be trimmed.

Add water & add fish food each day, wait a week & then add the fish.
You should investigate the diurnal temperatures of the pond to ensure your fish can cope.
The pond should be cycled if you start a bio-filter. Fish food could be used instead of ammonia.
A submersible pump can pump up to a box (bio-filter) and gravity return it to the pond.
The bio-filter can be a plastic box (>10% of pond volume) filled with matting, bio-balls etc. Plumbing fittings can be purchased for placing a hole in the bottom of the box as a return and a smaller diameter hole for a overflow, both return by gravity to the pond.
Other fittings can be used to make a spray bar, at the top of the box for the filter inlet, costs about $120.00 Aus for filter & pump.
Most lfs sell these filters, so have a look & then build your own for less money.
Plastic liner costs $1.10 per metre in Western Australia. Thats all I use & its cheap to replace. Double or treble the the layers of liner if it is thin sheet plastic. Or purchase a proper liner.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Iwas kiding I meant 2000gal of ammonia it was a joke most ponds people build are under that size so the whole pond would be ammonia. You know everthing would die ahhhhh never mind it was funny at first but not anymore oh well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store