My Discus Pictures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Just some quick pictures from my discus tank. It is a 180 planted with CO2 injection and a bit of fertilization, but not enough really. It has a 55 gallon sump.

11 discus, from about 5 inches down to 2.5.

3 Virgin Reds
3 Forrest Giant Blue
2 Blue Diamonds
1 Ring Pigeon Blood
1 Golden Lollipop
1 Albino Golden
1 Flagtail (The odd man out!)

Everyone does well but I think the flag tail will have to go eventually. He is just too much of a pig, but I am going to have to get a big net before I move him.

Enjoy the pictures!

Albino Golden:
Albino Golden.jpg

Virgin Reds:
VR 5.jpgVR 4.jpgVR 3.jpgVR 2.jpgVR 1.jpg

Golden Lollipop
Golden Lollipop 01.jpg

Forrest Giant Blue
Forrest 06.jpgForrest 05.jpgForrest 03.jpgForrest 02.jpgForrest 01.jpg

Group Shots:

Group Shot.jpgGroup Shot 3.jpgGroup Shot 2.jpg

That's it, more pictures to come later.

VR 5.jpg VR 4.jpg VR 3.jpg VR 2.jpg VR 1.jpg Group Shot.jpg Group Shot 3.jpg Group Shot 2.jpg Golden Lollipop 01.jpg Forrest 06.jpg Forrest 05.jpg Forrest 03.jpg Forrest 02.jpg Forrest 01.jpg Albino Golden.jpg

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice fish! FTS?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Beautiful!! I love the virgin reds..they r gorgeous! You are brave with that flag tail in there!! They love those slime coats!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Beautiful!! I love the virgin reds..they r gorgeous! You are brave with that flag tail in there!! They love those slime coats!
Do they? I thought that was a characteristic of "sucker" type fish, like some algae eaters and plecos.

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
The flagtails are almost a sucker type fish. They have an odd mouth, and they scrape algae. He eats flakes right out of my hand and I just feel a gentle scraping. Hoping to keep him well fed and see if he leaves the discus alone. I am actually in the market for another 180 or 210, and then I will move him into that with some other big plant eaters. I have 3 severums that would like to be re-homed into that future tank as well.

Full tank shot when lights come on today. It's not that impressive, my aquascape is not very good. I need to improve it, but I don't know where to start!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Do they? I thought that was a characteristic of "sucker" type fish, like some algae eaters and plecos.
They definitely have a sucker type mouth and scrape algae! I have read many accounts of them doing it to discus. The big difference I noted and what kept me from trying it...was that once they started doing it....it seemed they very quickly killed the fish. In almost all the things I read, by the time the owner realized what was going on....the other fish was a goner.

i love my flag tail....don't get me wrong! They r very cool fish. He has a ton of personality....kinda schizophrenic...lol! He is quickly outgrowing my 125 though! Makes me sad...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Nice

I have 6 VR's in a growout I picked up from Kenny. 4 of them will need to move to the main display tank as they are getting way to big and fat. they are at 5 weeks in growout.. originally 2.5" now easily 4"

Brian Anderson

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ohio
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Brian Anderson

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I love the virgin reds...I had a group of 6 ICA reds that I lost in the stupid October snow storm 2011. I havent been able to bring myself to get anymore discus. I love them ...they are gorgeous, but they can be heartbreakers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store