My final fish.....hopefully

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Well, I just learned I didn’t receive a Cuban cichlid,
Nandopsis Tetracanthus, i received a jaguar cichlid, Parachromis Managuense. Sooo.... still deciding on what to do. Wasn’t planning on buying another big tank, but we’ll see
I was thinking how much the Cuban cichlid juvenile looked like a jag juvie, but that isn't necessarily unusual because a lot of species look similar when they're young. I've never seen a juvenile Cuban so of course I didn't and still don't know, lol.

That sucks , majorly. Now you have to get another 6 footer if you can't rehome it. Are they sending you a Cuban or a refund? I'd be raising cain.

How big is it? Often you can get a pretty good feel of sex on jags by 4" to 6". Females often stop growing around a foot.

As for the Goldie the goldfish, I don't know. I lost track of my buddy in the early 2000s and I know somebody else owns the house now. Knowing him, he very well may have taken his koi and goldfish with him though.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I was thinking how much the Cuban cichlid juvenile looked like a jag juvie, but that isn't necessarily unusual because a lot of species look similar when they're young. I've never seen a juvenile Cuban so of course I didn't and still don't know, lol.

That sucks , majorly. Now you have to get another 6 footer if you can't rehome it. Are they sending you a Cuban or a refund? I'd be raising cain.

How big is it? Often you can get a pretty good feel of sex on jags by 4" to 6". Females often stop growing around a foot.

As for the Goldie the goldfish, I don't know. I lost track of my buddy in the early 2000s and I know somebody else owns the house now. Knowing him, he very well may have taken his koi and goldfish with him though.

WYite
Lol Sounds like me, I would take my pond fish too, I get attached to my fish
The seller said to send him pics, so if he agrees and sends me a Cuban, I’ll donate this guy to a local rescue that has room for this guy, if not, I might get a bigger tank for him.
Here’s some more pics of mine and a juvie Cuban at Aqua Imports, it’s about 3-3.5”, what do you think jag or Cuban? Male or female? Over on MFK, they’re saying 100% jag
First and last pics are juvie cubans, middle two are what I received.

AF17CD41-0D34-4387-A650-173D59975FFA.jpeg

426AC43C-5F54-49E8-9897-4D9B43522617.jpeg

6CC5B4C0-8F57-425F-95C3-C8EC13402A7B.jpeg

4B5C55A4-F7FA-4AF7-B7F3-7193C12470ED.jpeg

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
There's no doubt in my mind now. 100% jaguar. Like I said, I was struck by the similarity instantly. I didn't bring it up because I'd never seen a juvie Cuban and figured it was just the juvies looking similar. That's not unusual.

I'm leaning female, but I wouldn't bet the house on it yet.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
There's no doubt in my mind now. 100% jaguar. Like I said, I was struck by the similarity instantly. I didn't bring it up because I'd never seen a juvie Cuban and figured it was just the juvies looking similar. That's not unusual.

WYite
Ok thanks for the info, looks like I’m keeping “her?” Lol I talked to the seller and he thinks it’s too small to tell if I got the wrong fish and said if it turns out to be a jag he’ll send me a Cuban but I’ll be attached to it by then, so it looks like a bigger tank is in my future. Kinda sucks, but I like jags and it’s a legit excuse to buy another tank, hoping it’s a female so I don’t have to buy a 200g though

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020

WYite
Well my wife nixed my last idea so I’ll be selling the jag and will get a Cuban, but I think i have a better idea what to look for now. That’s what I really wanted and currently have room for, so I’ll post some pics whenever I track one down.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
They seem very similar from the googling I did And it seems they can crossbreed
It is not a hybrid. It is 100% jaguar cichlid Parachromis managuense. Even females typically reach 11" to 13", and males often push 16" or more in aquaria. You could make the argument that a female could be kept in a 75 or 90 gallon tank, but the best thing for the fish is a 6 foot tank, which means a 125 gallon should be considered the bare minimum and a 180 gallon or larger to be ideal.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
It is not a hybrid. It is 100% jaguar cichlid Parachromis managuense. Even females typically reach 11" to 13", and males often push 16" or more in aquaria. You could make the argument that a female could be kept in a 75 or 90 gallon tank, but the best thing for the fish is a 6 foot tank, which means a 125 gallon should be considered the bare minimum and a 180 gallon or larger to be ideal.

WYite
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store