My first goldfish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
So now that I finally got a job working at a little mom and pop lfs, and I have told so many people not to buy a goldfish to put in their bowl that they have in their hands, I am finally doing my own. I have a question or two on temperature. I have heard three schools of thought.

1. No heater in the tank
2. Run a heater at 78 degrees
3. Run a heater at the minimum setting

I will be buying two black moors that are quite large in size for a 30 gallon tank that I am putting together. Just don't know what to do with the heat. And second is about filtration. Should I go and buy a new filter and just start it out on these two goldfish, or should I use the canister from my African tank and just put the new canister on the African tank for a few weeks then switch them back???

Lastly I have decided on fluval, so do I go fluval 206 or 306??

Let me know what you think please as u am picking these two guys up on Thursday or Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Goldfish are cold water fish. No heater needed. Also, your moors will grow out of that 30 gallon tank fairly quickly.

I dont know much about those filters, but I do know that goldfish are a very high waste fish. The more filtration you have, the better. General rule I think is filtration capacity double the size of the tank. So you want something rated for at least 60+ gallons on a tank that size.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, I wouldn't go any smaller than a standard 37g tank for two black moors.

Like said, no heater. It's better for the fish and makes it much easier.

Maybe a pair of aquaclear 70s for filtration, Or a 4-5 stage canister and a sponge bubbler as backup.

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
So I picked up my fish a few days ago a d they Re doing quite well. I decided to go with the fluval 306 canister filter and couldn't be happier! A few more pictures to follow soon

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1391793960.347587.jpg

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
After keeping goldfish for 15+ years... trust me buy another filter. Two filters are best with the poop machines that are goldfish.

When I had 7 in my 125g I had two magnum 350's and a C-360 running. I had to clean one filter every week to keep them from clogging.

I also did a 75%weekly water change and a deep gravel vacuum. They were a lot of work but worth it.

Goldfish are social creatures and are very happy in larger groups. I'd never keep less than 4 or 5 in a 75 gallon tank personally. After you see them interact in larger groups, lonely goldfish in small tanks is just sad. They have a lot of personality and social behavior.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
They look great! Enjoy the mess :D

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
So after About a week of having these guys I checked on my new fluval canister filter, and I thought there would be little no dirt and it would be pointless to clean it.... Boy was I wrong...

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1392203913.017432.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1392203940.250491.jpg

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
good choice on the filter size.goldies should really have 10x filtration if possible.moors are a little more touchy when it comes to temperatures.if the room that they are in gets below 70 degrees,you may want to consider a heater set at 72.getting them on a good diet right away is important to avoid problems with swim bladder disease/stress. a small sinking pellet paired with some vegetable matter,like shelled,blanched frozen peas or no salt,canned green beans will do nicely. duckweed is also enjoyed by these fish,is full of fiber and helps to keep them regular.you will find out pretty quickly that moors get large.10" is common for a well taken care of moor.you may want to upgrade your tank size in the near future.and when you get tired of doing thorough gravel vacs,bare bottom tanks or tanks with 1" of sand will be easier to maintain.it will also be easier for your canister to pick up the detritus.and easier for you you to do vacs.have fun with your new dynamic duo.

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
I just talked to a guy last night about some aquarium glass he has had in his basement for a 150 gallon kit. So as soon as that is built I can move my community tank to the 150 and these guys will have a nice 45 to themselves

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store