My first jumper

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Oh yeah, semi-aquatic newts, toads etc. are *the worst* for jumping...same thing for crayfish, crabs etc. and eel shaped fish. These need window screen, or something similar - and yes, definitely window screen is the best thing to use :) Some people prefer not to have anything evaporate, I have a friend like that who has a feeding hole the size of a dime and the rest of the tank is completely covered with a glass top cut exactly to fit the filters and equipment. I feel claustrophobic when I look at his tank for that reason (well, that and the fact that he has sooo much rock, decor and driftwood in it) but he likes how neat it looks (since nothing shifts around at all) and the fact that he almost never tops up for evaporation.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Oh yeah, semi-aquatic newts, toads etc. are *the worst* for jumping...same thing for crayfish, crabs etc. and eel shaped fish. These need window screen, or something similar - and yes, definitely window screen is the best thing to use :) Some people prefer not to have anything evaporate, I have a friend like that who has a feeding hole the size of a dime and the rest of the tank is completely covered with a glass top cut exactly to fit the filters and equipment. I feel claustrophobic when I look at his tank for that reason (well, that and the fact that he has sooo much rock, decor and driftwood in it) but he likes how neat it looks (since nothing shifts around at all) and the fact that he almost never tops up for evaporation.
If it has evaporated that much, wouldnt it be time for a water change?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
He doesn't change water often, like 25% once a month. It seems to work for him - his tank is spotless. I think it has to do with the fact that he uses an LED light bulb over it in a custom canopy (the thing only puts out 4 watts, but it's plenty bright...it's pretty cool, actually!) Of course, he has artificial plants only, but that's how he likes it.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I got a crayfish too yesterday...

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
My firefish jumped to it's doom via the cats, and my roommate saved my 6-line wrasse from a similar fate. The only freshwater I've had jump was a pleco that got a bit carried away eating once.

:cheers:

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
I have several uncovered tanks, and it's not uncommon for me to find dried up cherry shrimp laying on the ground. One time, I noticed something moving along the carpet out of the corner of my eye. I grabbed some newspaper, prepared to smash a roach or something and it turned out to be an Amano shrimp.

I've also been very surprised at how little open space and how little time it takes for a fish to leap from the water. It's always disappointing (okay I'm not attached to the multitude of shrimp, so I don't think much about that, but when it comes to the fish, that's another story)

Zevyn

AC Members
May 21, 2012
Years ago I had a Gourami that did that while I was at work. Found it on the floor a bit dried out. I threw it back in the tank and it swam away.. totally startled me. I think years later in a college biology class our professor was explaining about fish that can breath air through their gills and mentioned that species, so it explained the mystery.

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
I recently had my wild caught crappie jump out of the tank. Luckily, I was home when it happened. It was kinda weird cuz i have wood floors in my house and I could hear this weird sound comming from the computer room where the tank is. I initially thought it was someone trying to break in the house. Checked outside and no one was there. So I go back to the computer room and here it again. I have an old school computer chair thats not actually a computer chair its one of those chairs that has a skirt on the bottom so you dont see whats under it. Moved the chair back and there he was half dead. Put him back in the tank and had to go buy some medicine since he was all stressed out and next day he was almost nearly covered in a white film (bacteria). Since then I have put a cover on the tank but he will still occasionally freak out if someone different comes in the computer room or if Im wearing a particular color hat. Weird, right? Sorry for your loss. I didnt think I had to worry about a crappie since they like to be low in the water column. I also learned the hard way years ago with a freshwater eel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store