My first real planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
So no tips about the red plants or angel fish? I was thinking of getting Ludwigia palustris if the althernathera did not make it.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Red plants in general withstand more light and require more to grow than green plants do. The althernathera's struggles could be due to insufficient light, but it also could be due to emersed growth doesn't do well under water. So you will get new submersed growth that is adapted to the light if there is enough for that plant. It looks like the more centered placement is doing better than the side one and I suspect the side planting may not be getting enough light.

Adult angelfish can eat adult neons. However if they are raised with the tankmates in place there is a possibility that they won't learn that the other fish are food. There is no guarantee they won't, but you could end up with a fish that leaves the others alone. Individual angelfish vary in temperament, so there aren't any absolutes when it comes to them.

Green neons are a little smaller than neons at max size, and galaxy rasbora are small enough to easily be angelfish lunch. The rest of the fish are large enough or fast enough not to be food as adults, although if you have platy fry they could be eaten.

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
Thanks for the tips snake. If I do go for angels, would you recommend taking one, or taking a couple?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Two unless they pair bond could be trouble for one of them. If you want two it would be better to get 6 and wait for a pair to form and sell the rest. While they are small a shoal of them is not a problem but adults tend to want to set up territories and resent incompatible intruders in that territory. Two females often will get along as well as a bonded pair. But two males will argue as adults. There is no visual difference between males and females that is reliable.

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
Hmmm, that is unfortunate. I don't think there is any fish store near where I live that allows me to return fish, so getting 2 will always be a gamble, and getting 6 is not an option in my 70 gallon tank.

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
Would you recommend getting a different type of centrepiece fish? I read that honey gourami are good, they don't grow very large, are hardy, and not very aggressive to other fish. Other suggestions are welcome :)

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Oh, I was thinking your tank was smaller than that. Even if you did end up with two male angelfish I think that is enough room for them to not be in each other's face all the time. What I said was more aimed at the 20-30 gallon size's effects on interaction. Sibling males raised together have less issues than would unknown adults, so I think you will be fine with two angels in that tank. I don't know how the galaxy rasboras will be with them, but it might be ok even the same. Those rasboras are very retiring and shy, so they would be out of sight most of the time anyway.

I've long drooled over these angelfish:
http://www.angelsplus.com/FishWildcrossBL.htm

Last edited:

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
So, 2 and a half months later, it might be time for an update ;)

First off, the losses... The Althernathera did not survive past the first few weeks. Lack of co2 in my opinion, or not enough light.. 2 of my cherry red platies also died, and I haven't seen many shrimp in the last few weeks. This last fact is probably due to:

Additions:
I bought myself quite a few new fish, and consider the tank to be fully stocked now.
- a couple of 3-spot gourami (i think the male eats shrimp when bored)
- 5 boesemani rainbows (my new favourite fish! Such colours! Much wow!)
- 4 Siamese algea eaters (I noticed that adding nutrients to the water causes major algea growths, hence...)
- 8 more platies, 4 gold and 4 blue ones.

As mentioned before, I've lost 2 platies since, but I also have 4 babies, so I'm not overly concerned ;)

I also got some extra plants, finally going for some height:
- water wisteria
- rotala rotundifolia
- lindernia rotundifolia
- anubias nana

And some pictures :)

Rainbows!

Various fish

General overview. The thing to the left is a reactor for a homemade co2 solution I added. It was obvious pretty soon that my plants would not grow any further without this addition. After adding g co2 (3 weeks ago), they started growing like crazy again, EXCEPT the java moss... That seems to be letting go of the wood. So i might lose the tree in the next month or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store