my fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
My first fry, so I just thought I'd share!

I posted last week what I was thinking of getting.

So yesterday I got 3 cories and 4 mollies. I'll get the rest in about a week, as long as I don't get a mini spike. If I do get a mini spike, I'll wait until the mini cycle has finished before adding anymore. The tank is cycled, but I don't want to overload it all at once.

So anyway, I've had the fish less than 24 hours. When I woke up this morning, one of the mollies was hiding in the corner behind one of my fake plants. When I went to tap on the glass where it was to get it out of the corner, what did I see? I BIG surprise! There was a little tiny black thing hiding in the plant. At first I thought there were only a couple, I only counted 4. But after I started catching them to put in their fry net, I ended up with a lot more than 4. There are 12 that I know of. But some of them where hiding and hard to find. So who knows if there are more.

My surprise

What I've caught so far. The pic looks a little blury, because it was taken from the top of the tank and the filter causes some good rippling.

suprise.jpg tinyfishies.jpg

Astramorgaine

AC Members
Feb 6, 2007
Southern Indiana
Awesome! I just love fry, I get so excited when I find them in my own tanks... Congrats!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Cool!

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
The count is up to 14 now, yikes!

How many fry can a molly/livebarer have at one time? It is possible more than one molly was pregnant. I have no idea how to tell the difference between male and female.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I dont know, but definate "at least" would be 2 dozen.

I guess guppies can have 100, and although Balloon Mollies only have 10-60 (maybe guidlines for black mollys too?), they start out life at 1/2 an inch long!!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Yeah... 10 to 60 from what I read too. And about once every month! Even without a male as the female can save sperm.

Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store