My inca snail eats my fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drew81

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
My snail waits at the top and hangs half his body out trying to catch floating food... but recently he has been catching my fish and killing them...

im ready to get rid of him...
would a lfs take them back?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i would ask your LFS. That is very unusual, i can't imagine an apple snail able to hold a well fish long enough or able to kill it.

drew81

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
im positive...

it was a neon tetra...
i saw him swimming fine when i was feeding...
then the snails swim to the top...i came back 5 min later and he was sitting at the top eating him...

ive had 3 fish "disappear" recently...im about to flush this snail..

i got two about 2 months ago..one is giant and the other is small...i think i know the carnivore one

drew81

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
the snails sit at the top of the tank extending their suctions out over the surface trying to catch floating flakes...then the fish must of swam right into him?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
but they don't have anyway to hold a fish still really, and they don't have big teeth...how big is your large snail?? got a pic of it?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
also, are you feedig the snails??? its not common for them to hang out at the waterline for food unless they are really hungry. I would try adding some sinking foods (either veggies like zucchini, green bean, etc) or wafers for them.

drew81

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
sorry, no pic...but
he has a really large body..when i saw him eating it, the fish was wrapped up in its body...

i didnt believe it when i saw it...but i saw my fish swimming fine prior to feeding...

drew81

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
i have 2 different kinds of waffers...one shrimp and one algae..
they are for my cories and my snails

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store