My loach changed color :-)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

redrf900

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
I went to take a peek in on my living room tank and saw the loaches were hungry. I took a good look and noticed that my favorite fish "Whitey" wasn't white anymore. He used to look like a normal clown, but faded. Almost like he was dipped in bleach for a second. Now his color is bright and shiney like his tankmate "Bobo". Still easy to tell apart from their personalities, though. Whitey isn't shy in the least. He'll come right to my hand for food :)

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Yeah, I have 3 and they do the same thing. Can't say they get white, but their color looks faded for a short time. I'll have to watch it to see if it correlates to the lights, but I also heard this has something to do with their mood. Next time I'll ask 'em how their feeling.:D

catjo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
New Braunfels, Texas
Visit site
Clowns "grey out" by mood. It usually coincides with a bout to crown the alpha loach. Once the pecking order is established they will grey out from time to time to keep their top post. It is nothing to be concerned with and I'm sure you will see your clown get "white" again when he is challenged for food or position. Best of luck!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
My loaches looked fine this morning and when I asked them how they were..."Fine!" is all they would say. I think they're playing with me:confused:

catjo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
New Braunfels, Texas
Visit site
Hey Red....

Not sure if "Whitey" is your alpha fish or not. To know you have to observe them over time. I have 12 in a 125 and the alpha is very easy to spot over time. He greys out, chases and clicks when one of the others tries to take his lead clown post. Sometimes he will chase and click for 15-20 minutes and be grey as can be then all settles down until one of the others challenge his authority. By the way he is NOT the largest of my clowns, weird huh? Keep watching and if "Whitey" always tends to be the chaser, clicker, winner then yes he would be your alpha loach. They are usually the first to food and the more aggressive of the bunch. Of course no damage is ever done; not much anyway :) Enjoy them, they are great fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store