My Memorial Day Thank You

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
This is my dad upon graduation from US Marine Corps boot camp (circa 1958).

PatMarine.jpg

He spent his entire 4 years in Japan as a radar control officer. He told his recruiter he wanted to work with airplanes. Unfortunately, he couldn't even pass the eye exam to be a mechanic, so they sat him in front of a radar screen for 8 hours a day.

My granddad was in WWII. He joined the army as a railroad engineer, but the vagaries of the military got him transferred into the combat engineers. He went overseas to the beautiful island of Attu Alaska, where he built roads and an airfield.

Attu is the single piece of US property ever to be invaded. May 11, 1943 the Japanese invaded Attu. During the two weeks of fighting, my granddad (a sergeant) led his squad on a flanking manuever that broke the back of one of the last Japanese charges on the island.

He was wounded (slightly) with some grenade fragments in his foot. Note: he was of sufficient rank to be allowed to use a M1 carbine as a weapon, but he stuck with the M1 rifle for its better range.

He was transferred back to the states in the casuality transfer and (having served his overseas duty) was looking for something to do. He wanted to get as much money as possible (being the kind of guy he was), so he volunteered for parachute duty and ended up being the instructor at Fort Benning Georgia. He basically trained the guys that dropped behind enemy lines at Normandy.

Anyway, he got a regular 5 day work week, jump day, instructor pay and extra ration cards and fuel for being 'essential'. He traded his cigarette ration for additional fuel and ration cards and him, his wife, and my mother had a grand old time.

Curiously enough, I now work with a man who's dad was trained at Fort Benning and then went on to jump with the 17th airborne into Europe.

Anyway... thanks guys. I love you both!!!

PatMarine.jpg

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Thanks for sharing Ogre and I thank them for their service! :thumbsup: (what a handsome picture! love a man in uniform!)
I, also am a military brat - my dad is retired Navy and I have one son in the Navy and one in the Airforce; they have both been active in the latest war efforts and I am so proud. Thank you to all of our veterans and active service personnel! I salute you!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great story Ogre!

Hope everybody takes a moment tomorrow to think of our fallen American family who paid the ultimate price for our freedoms.

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
Thanks to your dad and the other veterans who have stood for our country. Presently have a nephew as a LT with the Marines in Afghanistan. Thoughts and prayers are with all of them.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Great story and photo. I was away for the weekend, but I'm also very grateful for everything the men and women in uniform do for our country. My grandfather served in the Army Air Corp in WWII as a mechanic, 475th I believe, in the Philipines. My wife's cousin is also in the Army and has just been deployed to Afghanistan.

I have to say, the lack of response to this thread irks me a little:angryfire:. Are we really that complacent? Threads like "do you like...", and "play this game..." get a hundred responses. I'd think that one thanking those who fight to keep those freedoms for us would garner the same attention. And it shouldn't matter if it comes up every year.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
During my service(1972-1995) I have seen a great change in the way our service members are treated by the public. To those we say thank you for supporting us and honoring those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
What a great story Ogre, thanks for sharing!

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
:mwave: Great story and how lucky you are to have two such heros in your family! I also want to pass along my deep appreciation to all who serve and have served and especially to those who died protecting our freedoms. :thumbsup:

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
fantastic Ogre, my father was also in radar and went to 'nam. He retired from the USAF. I also enlisted after graduating high school.

I hold the highest regard to the men and women that choose to serve this great country of ours. (Being a forum with members from all over the globe I would be remiss if I didn't state that I also respect those serving their own countries.)

It takes a great love of country to do that.

Support your troops no matter which country you are in and regardless of how you may feel about any conflict they are in. Remember They are just doing their job and are in situations daily most of us cannot fathom.

:bowing: :bowing: :bowing:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store