my new fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
You can't feed them if they won't eat, I'm afraid.

http://www.2cah.com/pandora/Disease.html#NTD
Does this sound right?

There's nothing wrong with your chemistry, I almost wish there was so we could put our fingers on something obvious ans fixable. I'm afraid that there's little you can do. If you have a big rubbermaid tote you can move them to that in hopes that if there is a disease they won't harm the others. I'll give it some more thought and post any insights.

pjfish

Fins are Fun!
Feb 10, 2005
America the Beautiful
You could crumble up the flakes so there will be more pieces so your larger fish can't grab it all. This works for me and allows some of my smaller fish to get more food without actually feeding too much.

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
happychem said:
Gonefishin, he did a fishless cycle, after fishless cycling you must (or get to) fully stock.
Do'h. *slaps himself* I'll say it for you....... "gonefishin' you are an idiot" Mabey I should look before I leap. Mac, sorry if I confused you, Happy, thanks for the correction.

mrmcmasty

Mark
Feb 8, 2005
VA
happychem I checked that link... it looks very similar. The one I found floating today had an odd coloration, there was also one in the school that had an odd look to him so I put him in the quarantine tank (that was an hour ago and he is doing fine so far) it took me like an hour to catch that one fish... I am not sure I could catch them all if I had to... here is something else...

I have two dwarf gouramis... they are odd I think... they are almost always together... sort of like a schooling fish... and part of the time the red one follows the zebras up and down the filter tube (wierd I think) so after the whole catching and quarantining of the tetra I recheck the school of tetras and realize that the school is one short... so I check the tank and find the smallest one has become a gourami snack...yikes, so much for them not eating huh ( I had to laugh ) my gouramis are the fish gestapo... so I look at the quarantined fish and the carcas of the one I found flaoting today, they are about the same size... and much smaller than ones in the tank that are still living.

has anyone ever seen this behavior out of gouramis? I think I was warned this may happen...

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
Yeah, they can be very aggressive at times. Usually they focus their energy on other gouramis, and leave other fish alone... That is exceedingly strange that your gouramis aren't pecking each other ragged, and that they decided to munch a tetra rather than each other's fins.

A first in my book.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
It could be that the tetra was dead or dieing. Fish will scavenge the dead, and if they see another that is very weak perhaps it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

At least they're hungry! But on the downside, that's also a means of spreading disease.

mrmcmasty

Mark
Feb 8, 2005
VA
One tetra left... I still have yet to see a tetra eat, only to be eaten.

There is something wrong with my angelfish. I didnt know any better when I bought him... but his tail is clamped, instead of being fanned out. He sits right beside the heater about 3/8 an inch from the surface with his mouth opening and closing. Everyonce in a while he will go swimming around, and he still eats a little but not much, after a couple small pieces of food he will grab one and then spit it out.

The rest of the fish seem very active and healthy, but then I thought the 3 tetras left were doing just fine... Im kinda down about this. I spent alot of time fishless cycling this tank to make sure the water would be right... and now IM still killin my fish :mad: my biggest concern is that there is a disease or baceria or fungus or something in my tank that is going to kill all the fish...

water paremeter 03/09 AM
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate between 5-10
gh 6
ph 7.4 - 7.6
temp 78

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Have you read up on the other diseases on the pandora site? (the one that I linked for NTD) I'm a little out of my depth on diseases, I haven't dealt with too many most of my early fish deaths were due to an uncycled/overstocked tank. Do any of these diseases fit the symptoms?

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I'd hang in there. I think whatever got your tetras has got your angel too, unfortunately.

I would just waterchange everyday, 50% or so and wait it out. I had bad luck with tetras and ich. I'm thinking tetra are difficult to acclimatize. I've read about so many problems on here and it seems to be tetra's in the majority of the cases. Or maybe its because alot of people favor the tetras..I don't know. I lost 5 tetras to ich. Yet my other fishes have all been fine. No losses whatsoever, knock on wood.

Hang in, it will get better. The losses can be disappointing, considering you did everythig right. You can't blame yourself...

Happy Chem, your tanks ar terrrific!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store