My new-old 75gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
I've been lurking around here for a while reading up on other peoples' successes and mishaps. I currently have a 10gal lightly planted with just guppies. and its been a whole lot of fun. as a kid we had a 57gal but my dad mostly took care of it, i just liked throwing feeder fish into the tank to feed the oscars.... the 10 gal i got cause i needed something else in my empty apartment and i liked fish.

For some background...
Ive been looking for a new tank for a while since I realized I want to have more guppies of more colors (I like how when different colored ones breed, the offspring look so cool) but sadly 10 gals isnt big enough for the number of guppies that I want. I had been hunting for something like a 55 long, but a co-worker noticed and said he had a 75 that he had in his garage that he was willing to give away for almost little to nothing. he even threw in a 29gal oceanic with stand and a 20 gal too.

So, the tank is an Oceanic 75 - he used to use saltwater, the tank is about 15 years old. No scratches and it holds water! YAY!

It came with a reasonable sized wet/dry maybe 17-20 gals and 2 brand new pumps that he bought for a future setup but never used. i don't remember the model, ill look it up tomorrow. i know that they pump 860gph up 6feet with 1/2" hose.

The lights he had were really old and damaged from being in the garage and so I'll have to buy new lighting.

The stand also needs some work since it looks like its slanted and needs to be trued up before I want to put real weight on it.

So, for the time being, while working on the cabinetry, I also need to clean out the tank, we rinsed it out today of all the bugs and whatnot, but theres alot of salt and lime/calcium buildup that needs to be removed - any ideas how to do that safely?

also, he had corals, but he had to silicone them to the bottom of the tank to keep his shark from knocking them over all the time, its still there so ill need to find a way to remove all of it, theres only 2 dabs of it (think footprint of a laptop mouse)

Being such an old tank, any other concerns that i should have? Silicone joints of the tank? it all looks to be in good condition, and like i said earlier it didn't leak when we filled it.

As for what i want to put into it, like i said earlier, i want to do primarily guppies and perhaps tetras and the like of schooling fish. i want to have a lightly planted tank with sand substrate (thinking pool filter sand) and having a short type of grass filling up the bottom for guppy fry to hide in. and have drift wood in there as well. as for planting, i want something relatively easy to care for since funds are limited, i don't want to go into the CO2 and ferts, but if its one or the other, i can prally do ferts but prefer not to (not sure why).

some other things i think about going into this, is ill need a new overflow if i plan to use the wet/dry since the tank isn't drilled.

no pics tonight, i got back to my place at like 9.30pm and got everything situated for the time being its almost 2am now.... ill get the pics of the tank and specs on the pumps tomorrow.

if any of you have ideas/suggestions/concerns. feel free to ask, i haven't taken on a tank of this size before. i hope its as easy as my 10. just scaled up.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Vinegar and water should get most of the mineral buildup off, along with some elbow grease.

A razor blade scrapper should work for the old silicone.

As long as the interior silicone feels somewhat pliant when pressed and the tank holds water, you should be good.

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
that was my idea after reading around. ima head to the store after work today to get that stuff to work on the tank. and since i live in an apartment i dont have the tools to do the woodwork.. that will be the delay in getting the tank up and running....

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
So here's some pics of this tank. The first few were after a brief wash down outside at his place before driving it to my apartment.

SO yea there was alot of buildup...
I used vinegar as suggested with some mixed results. since i never dealt with a used tank before, i got a question, will i ever get it completely clean again? i ask cause no matter how much i wipe with a scrub pad and vinegar, theres stuff that persists...

So as you can see, i got most of the real white stuff off, but this "ghosting image" for a better of a way to put it persists. should i keep trying, or is that the best im going to get? or is there something in saltwater that will etch the glass?

Oh and those pumps i noted earlier, they were brand new 4-MDQ-SC from Little Giant Pumps. i priced them at 200 a piece. considerering i ran away with this tank as well as a 29 and a 20gal tank along with stands and wet/dry for only $120 it was a steal....

anyways, i think im about had it with cleaning it while on the floor, ill need to work on the stand more now, and slowly keep working at cleaning this tank as time goes on.

thanks for stopping by.
Lach

Last edited:

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
doing a little more reading, prehaps soaking the glass with vinegar for a few mins wasn't enough. so soaked some paper towels in it and slaped them to the glass and covered them with plastic wrap last night. hopefully this afternoon after work i can see some results.

Lach

ciaobella7122

i love my ween!
Jul 28, 2008
Connecticut
That happened with my 35 g so I soaked it in vinegar overnight and the next morning the buildup came off SO easily! Granted, it takes a lot of vinegar but I can't stand the film that saltwater leaves so it was worth a few bucks lol. Good luck, can't wait to see the end result!

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
Heh, thanks, im glad someone else has done it with good results. I havent gone home yet, but hopefully the vinegar soaked towels will do the trick (and save some money).

Oh on a side note, instead of a community tank, i wanted to go to a heavily planted, dwarf cichlid tank. Anyone have suggestions on any good reading material?

dogyluver

AC Members
Jun 20, 2008
Ohio
Cichlids are rather aggressive and territorial so don't keep with the guppys. They also don't make for community tanks unless it's angels. So make sure any other fish can hold their own. They pair off pretty easily and when they breed can have up to 200 fry. so start of slowly with only a few they will fill up your tank in no time. In 1 year my son went from about 12 cichlids to about 50 in a 150 gal. tank.

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
right, i wasent planning on mixing them. lol i still have the 29 and 20 gal that i can use for guppies. but the more i see planted tanks with south american dwarf cichlids, the more they appeal to me.

50 huh? thats pretty cool to hear. you have pics? getting a little off topic...

going back to the topic, checking in on the deposits covered in soaked paper towels didnt work. going to need to go stronger. more googleing at work before i went home said something about using CLR. anyone recomend this? or should i just go to the muratic acid?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store