my new PBT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
Cool looking fish!

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
observation i believe....so hopefully everything will be cool....theres not a mark on it and its eating well...but only shrimp and krill,,going to have to get it on the some spirulina and its not interested in my seaweed clip hopefully it will learn off the other 2 tangs who love the clip....thanks for the nice comments :)

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Be very careful and watch him closely. Without proper QT, it is very likely he brought ick into the tank or if ick was in the tank, he will most likely show signs first. If any of the tangs start flashing against rocks and even if no spots are visible, put them all in QT and do hypo as quickly as possible.

I lost my Regal last week and a few of the others got ick because I did not QT with Hypo for 4-6 weeks on every fish and I did'nt QT coral, rocks, chaeto and inverts at normal SG level for at least 4 weeks. Now my display is sitting fishless for 4 more weeks.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
observation i believe....so hopefully everything will be cool....theres not a mark on it and its eating well...but only shrimp and krill,,going to have to get it on the some spirulina and its not interested in my seaweed clip hopefully it will learn off the other 2 tangs who love the clip....thanks for the nice comments :)
I mix mysis/brine/cyclops/krill and then finally spirulina and nori into a blender, as well as sometimes cyclopeeze and the fish seem to love it... plus its good for my carnivores and herbivores (trigger and tang).

Just a thought..

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
This one is a touch and go I have added a tang to my tank w/ out qt. It was a Large (7+") Naso streamer I had a qt of 26G I really thought that Id be better off putting him in my display vrs stressing him out in such a small tank. Id say unless you have a 75G+ qt tank he was better off putting him in his display from the get go. IF its a healthy fish from the get go more than likely they shouldnt be any probs. NOT to say you wont have any. Best of luck.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
I used to think the exact same way until I had to deal with a major ick outbreak. If a fish is put in a QT tank that is smaller or much smaller than recommended, surely he will not be as happy but sometimes it's a lesser of two evils. Bring things to a head now in a smaller tank where it is more manageable or later when the entire tank is at risk.

A large fish can live just fine in a small tank for a few weeks in Hypo to let the ich die off. If you keep a 7in fish in a small 26 g with no treatment such as Hypo, sure he will be stressed and the ich might get the better of him but the same fish in a 26g under Hypo treatment will be, arguably, less stressed due to Hypo itself and the free swimming ick won't be able to live and reinfect the large uncomfortable fish. You may get lucky for a while but ick will eventually get ya!

I agree that, in a perfect world, no QT would be needed as long as all the fish are healthy and can fight off the parasite but it's not perfect and will eventually come back to bite you and your fish in the butt.

Man, I used to believe the old wive's tale that ick was always there and if the fish were happy and well fed, they would not get ick. That was true until the first time I did a re-aquascaping of the tank and scared the Regal Tang and then the rest of the fish got ick as well.

If there is no ick present, it doesn't matter how much you scare the fish, they won't get ick because it won't be there to infect the fish.

If ick were a single bullet in a gun, would you take the same chance putting that gun to your head and pulling the trigger as you would putting a healthy looking fish in your main display tank?

This one is a touch and go I have added a tang to my tank w/ out qt. It was a Large (7+") Naso streamer I had a qt of 26G I really thought that Id be better off putting him in my display vrs stressing him out in such a small tank. Id say unless you have a 75G+ qt tank he was better off putting him in his display from the get go. IF its a healthy fish from the get go more than likely they shouldnt be any probs. NOT to say you wont have any. Best of luck.

Last edited:

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Such a beautiful fish! A great choice.

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
its a gamble i know.....but i looked at this fish very closely to make sure it was in perfect condition.....my lfs is only 10mins from my house so it didn't get too stressed out coming home with me.....i have a cleaner wrasse and 3 cleaner shrimps which the PBT loves as do my other 2 tangs so hopefully these will help control any parrasites....keeping my fingers crossed things will be cool....sorry to hear you lost the regal shigara.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store