my new PBT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I used to think the exact same way until I had to deal with a major ick outbreak. If a fish is put in a QT tank that is smaller or much smaller than recommended, surely he will not be as happy but sometimes it's a lesser of two evils. Bring things to a head now in a smaller tank where it is more manageable or later when the entire tank is at risk.

A large fish can live just fine in a small tank for a few weeks in Hypo to let the ich die off. If you keep a 7in fish in a small 26 g with no treatment such as Hypo, sure he will be stressed and the ich might get the better of him but the same fish in a 26g under Hypo treatment will be, arguably, less stressed due to Hypo itself and the free swimming ick won't be able to live and reinfect the large uncomfortable fish. You may get lucky for a while but ick will eventually get ya!

I agree that, in a perfect world, no QT would be needed as long as all the fish are healthy and can fight off the parasite but it's not perfect and will eventually come back to bite you and your fish in the butt.

Man, I used to believe the old wive's tale that ick was always there and if the fish were happy and well fed, they would not get ick. That was true until the first time I did a re-aquascaping of the tank and scared the Regal Tang and then the rest of the fish got ick as well.

If there is no ick present, it doesn't matter how much you scare the fish, they won't get ick because it won't be there to infect the fish.

If ick were a single bullet in a gun, would you take the same chance putting that gun to your head and pulling the trigger as you would putting a healthy looking fish in your main display tank?
Perfectly stated. :)

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Beautiful fish.. I wish I had a tank big enough to house 3 tangs.. Sigh..

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
no problems so far.....only thing is its still not eating as well as i would like.....put a mix of brine,krill,cyclops and angel formula tonight and it didn't really touch it much....it also hasn't shown any interest in the seaweed either or the flakes....it picks at the algae on the rocks but that won't be enough for it.....its only been 2 days in the tank so hopefully it will learn quickly......my other tangs ate like pigs straight off so its worrying me slightly....the last fish that done this was my rock beauty angel which never really ate properly and eventually died.....i know the rock beauty is not suited to aquarium life and is a very hard fish to keep....im just worried the same thing will happen here...or am i just being impatient.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Absolutely beautiful. I am hoping to get one after I upgrade my tank and he'll be using the 35 as a QT.

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
yeah grins the food is frozen....Emerald Green? ... ive never heard of that before...never seen it in my LFS....ive tried spirulina and seaweed but shows no interest.

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
just a wee update to say the PBT is doing away fine....its eating shrimp and is now eating flake....just have to try and get it to eat from the clip now....no signs of any ich so i hope it stays that way...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store