My new sump "kit"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
I'm so excited! I finally have collected all the parts (except for a little fuge light) to build my sump to replace my wet/dry. I'm using a 30g tank (which some of you may remember me posting about a while back because it got cracked in the back of the car on the way home from the pet store), Ocean Runner 3500 return pump, 1200gph overflow, and acrylic baffles that I cut out last week. When I get home from my vacation next week I am going to silicone the baffles and do a test run in the garage with an old 29g tank and then if all goes well I'll do the swap soon after. I hope to fit my gargantuan Coralife Super Skimmer in it along with my heaters.....and eventually an auto top off setup.
Thanks!
Robbie

sump_kit.jpg

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Thats an amazing DIY sump. It looks clean and well planned out. I also like the shape. What kind of light are you considering?

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Thanks! I think for lighting I am going to use something like this.... although I've heard of people just using the cheap clamp on work lights with incandescent bulbs in them.
Robbie

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I look forward to seeing the finished product. I must admit since having a sumo I don't know how I lasted 3 years without one:grinyes:
CPD, what country does he represent? I can't imagine the benefits that a sumo would bring to the average household :bowing:

:raspberry:

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Robbie: great sump! I had the same light on my old fuge and the just be aware that the paint will come off in a matter of a few months...it runs pretty hot. Your planning seems spot on and can't wait to see it after you install the baffles and get to do the dry run in your garage....good planning I might add, beats having a flood in the house if you need to make corrections.

Are you still pleased with the Coralife Skimmer?

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Robbie: great sump! I had the same light on my old fuge and the just be aware that the paint will come off in a matter of a few months...it runs pretty hot. Your planning seems spot on and can't wait to see it after you install the baffles and get to do the dry run in your garage....good planning I might add, beats having a flood in the house if you need to make corrections.

Are you still pleased with the Coralife Skimmer?
Thanks for the comments...I just got back from a week at the beach so I'm a little late with my response:)
I haven't ordered the light yet....I may try and use a clip on worklight for now and see how it goes. I will be sure to post pics of my sump progress.
I still like the CSS, although it tried to burn my house to ground once (I suppose I can't blame the skimmer completely). I replaced the diffuser box with a piece of PVC and a sponge on the end of the PVC, although I recently ditched the sponge. It seems to be rock solid finally!
Thanks!!
Robbie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store