My New Years Resolution (might be a bit early)!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
As a year begins a new, people from the age of old has always wish to improve their lives. For me, it simple really…I wish to tackle the other side of the aquatic hobby, known as reef. I have been with the freshwater game for awhile, but for some reason or another I have always shied away from saltwater. I know it’s virtually impossible and naive to think that I could accomplish this in two months (which of course I don’t), but I would at lest like to have a basic setup running.

I have done some research on the whole process of setting up a saltwater tank, and got lost somewhere in the translation. So far I do understand that there are three different types of setups (RO, FOWLR, and REEF).

I have a 40 gallon tank that I was considering converting into my marine tank, but I was also thinking about getting a 55 for that very purpose. Right now I only want just a few fish; Dwarf lionfish, Dragonet, and a few Clowns (Nemo for my little Bro). I also wanted a seahorse but I heard they can be difficult to keep, so I am not so sure anymore.

I have some questions…

1. First what is meant by “live sand,” and “live rock”?
--> a. Is live rock just a rock that can sustain life?
2. I heard Dragonets eat mostly copepods which are in terms created by the tank. Is that true?
--> a. How long does that process take?
--> b. Could I use live brine shrimp for the Dragonet instead?
3. Will a 40 or 55 suffice for now, for the current fish list? I wanted to start small, if all goes well than of course I’ll go big…
4. When I perform a water change, can I pour and mix the water with salt in the tank without causing harm to the fishes?

That should be it for now, thanks in advance.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hey there MZ, will try and answer your questions for you...

1. First what is meant by “live sand,” and “live rock”?
--> a. Is live rock just a rock that can sustain life?
The mean of live rock and live sand is simply that the rock and sand itself has bacteria living inside and on the surface area, it has critters like tube worms, bristleworm, peanut worms living there..This all adds up to the biodiversity of the rock and sand. Hence its ability to act as a natural filter and remove the need to provide external filtration on a reef system. Live rock is not just normal rock, its made up from calcium carbonate, dead skeletons and orgamisms..

2. I heard Dragonets eat mostly copepods which are in terms created by the tank. Is that true?
--> a. How long does that process take?
--> b. Could I use live brine shrimp for the Dragonet instead?
Yes, copepods will naturally grow in our systems providing that the tank is sustained correctly. Sometimes the growth level of pods is not sufficient, so people will buy a tub of copepods to bulk up the culture of pods..you will usually get pods arriving in the lie rock that you purchase. How long it takes for them to grow themselves, varies from tank to tank..Personaly, i would only be trying to feed a dragonet on brine as its main source of food, but maybe use this in addition to the pods as a treat food.

3. Will a 40 or 55 suffice for now, for the current fish list? I wanted to start small, if all goes well than of course I’ll go big…
Yes, certainly..we all have to start somewhere, out of the two, the obvious choice would be the bigger 55..All the fish you mentioned in your post are suitable for that tank size.

4. When I perform a water change, can I pour and mix the water with salt in the tank without causing harm to the fishes?
No, the water change water should be pre-mixed and aeriated for at least 24 - 48 hours prior to being added to the aquarium. This time period is to ensure that water parameters match those of your tank like pH, temp, Specific Gravity etc etc..The only water you add directly to the tank is your top off water.

Regarding your fish, i would adivse against getting the dragonet till at least 6 - 8 months of running the tank, this will ensure that the tank is maturing and give the pods a good period of time to establish. On the Lion, of course its a semi aggressive predator, so that does pose its own risks when adding to an aquarium. Again, with this fish, its not one i would recomend to a marine beginner.

Hope this helps..

Niko

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I agree with what Niko said. One point he made that might sound a bit confusing I thought I'd clarify:
..Personaly, i would only be trying to feed a dragonet on brine as its main source of food, but maybe use this in addition to the pods as a treat food.
I think he meant that he wouldn't use it as it's main source of food and only as an occasional treat. One reason being it isn't very nutritious and secondly not all dragonettes will accept anything other than pods.

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Thank very much, you guys have been very helpful. I have some more questions...

1. Is it wise to cure both live sand and live rock in the main tank?
2. I read that non-live sand has to be seeded, what about the uncured live rock?
3. Can I go with 55 lbs. of each in a 55 gallon tank, or should I aim for more?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
1. You can cure live rock in the display tank if you are still in the process of setting it up and going through your cycle. If it has lots of dead life on it, it will most likely be enough to start your cycle. Expect some smell coming from the tank. You shouldn't have to cure live sand. I don't suggest live sand however, at least not the stuff you find in a packaged bag. Getting a cup of live sand from a reputable local source is fine though. Just add it to a good aragonite and it will become live and you'll not have lots of die off stuff in it.

2. Seeded means it has a something with life added in close proximity of it so it will move into the new environment you've added as well. Sand will become seeded with either the live rock being on it or via the addition of a cup of live sand that I mentioned in #1. Base or dead rock will become seeded by the close proximity of live rock. It is not an automatic thing of course but it can be aided by using a higher ratio of live to base rock. You don't need to seed uncured live rock. It has life on it. The only difference between cured live rock and uncured live rock is that the uncured still has the life that has died off in/on it. It is normal for their to be die off as it goes through shipping and holding processes.

3. 55#s of sand is a decent number, unless you are wanting a DSB (deep sand bed). I'd shoot for a bit higher on the live rock, 1 1/2#s. The 1 pound would be OK though if you got the very porous and irregular shaped Marshall Island rock or ones like it. Expect it to be at least twice the price of other rock though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store