My Rescued Redtail...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
A couple pics of my Redtail Catfish. He was rescued about 2 months ago, brought home and put in a 55g. After a couple weeks, I was able to get him a new home. He is now in a 180g with a Florida Gar and a Common Pleco. As far as his future, he will live here for the next year or so, then will be moved into an outdoor pond. Spring/Summer 2013 will consist of purchasing the equipment for the pond (Filters, liner, etc.), and by fall I should be able to have the pond dug and installed before winter. By Spring 2014 the pond will be ready to take the Redtail, Gar, and Pleco. Possibly something else by then. And during the Summer/Fall of 2014 I will be turning a old bedroom/storage room into our Fishroom with a indoor pond for winter.

DSCN4366upload.jpg DSCN4369upload.jpg

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
One of my favs of the catfish world. Too bad I don't have the means to keep one myself. Glad to hear he is doing well and bigger and better things on the horizon.

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
He is by far my favorite too! He smiles all the time. Its really unfortunate that they do get so big, they are such awsome fish. Hungry little guy! Haha

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I hate to say it but there is no way an outdoor pond in Michigan is going to be up to 78 degrees+ in temperature (which a redtail needs) until late June/early July and will be cooled back down below that by mid September.

These are one of those fish that really are best left in the wild.

andy

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
Well our lakes are usually bath water by the end of June... I can't imagine it taking nearly as long as a lake to heat up a 2000-3000g pond. If worse comes to worse, ill have to heat it/keep him in the indoor pond longer. I got a bit to work out the details...

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I love red tails but they get so darn big! I guess their size is part of their appeal, giant, pretty fish with an appetite for everything.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I would do some more research. Actual temperature data of Michigan's inland lakes shows me that they don't get up to 80 degrees until late summer if at all.

A pond heater is not a good solution. If you figure a good rule of thumb for an aquarium is 5 watts per gallon for an insulated aquarium then you can figure on doubling it at a minimum to heat an uninsulated pond. For a 1000 gallon pond you are talking about 10,000 watts of power! The electric company is going to love you!

I understand the appeal of these fish but they would be better off if noone ever purchased them to begin with as they are not suitable to be kept in aquaria.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store