My Rescued Redtail...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
I would do some more research. Actual temperature data of Michigan's inland lakes shows me that they don't get up to 80 degrees until late summer if at all.

A pond heater is not a good solution. If you figure a good rule of thumb for an aquarium is 5 watts per gallon for an insulated aquarium then you can figure on doubling it at a minimum to heat an uninsulated pond. For a 1000 gallon pond you are talking about 10,000 watts of power! The electric company is going to love you!

I understand the appeal of these fish but they would be better off if noone ever purchased them to begin with as they are not suitable to be kept in aquaria.

Andy
Ill make sure and take my thermometer with me next time I head to the lake!

Just out of curiosity, what research did you do? What data was collected to say our inland lakes dont heat up till late summer? Is this an average of all inland lakes in Michigan? If so I would say it would be somewhat irrelevant.. considering the amount of lakes in the U.P. that im sure never heat up at all.

I live in Lenawee county, it borders Ohio, as south as you get in Michgan. And the lakes around here are HOT by Mid July...

As I said originally, since you have mentioned it in both of your posts (I can read btw), I did not Purchase these fish, I didnt go out of my way to Get them, I took them from an aquaintance, who had them in a 55g, I am trying to give this fish a better life, since he wasnt. If you dont want to support what I am doing, fine by me, but I def. dont need your negativity, it doesnt help... thanks!

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
Not to mention, even if I decided to go with a pond heater, and extend my outdoor season... its my bill, my problem.

I was under the impression that this site was full of people who want to help, share advice... not undercut your plans left and right. I do appreciate constructive criticism, but to imply that I am not intelligent enough to understand what your saying by repeating yourself in each post, its insulting.

I do agree that these fish are very large and misrepresented by ALL fish stores. And that is unfortunate, but some of us (me for example) are doing what we can to help the situation..

I didnt have to take this fish, I could have left it in my buddys 55g, to suffer, to die! But I took it, did the research, went out and bought a 180g tank, filters, etc., and am trying to make my future plans, so that this RTC can live its life comfortably!

Being only 26 years old, many of you will view me as ignorant, and uneducated. Im sorry to disappoint, but I try to be as knowledgeable as possible, doing as much research as I can. I try not to dive into anything blindly.

Needless to say... I would love to see this data you have found, since I have done numerous search's on Michigans Inland lakes, and can't seem to find ANYTHING that shows lake temperatures. Please give me a link, I would love to see it! And if it does break down into regions, look into Southeast Michigan, where I am located, if they do not break down by region, just a statewide average... then that date is USELESS!!!

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
http://michiganlakes.msue.msu.edu/up...inalReport.pdf

There is the Data I have been supplied to reference to my ability to have a pond in Michigan! HAHAHAHA

You gave me 4 lakes... out of over 11,000 inland lakes.

The only one out of those 4 remotely close to me is Sweezey Lake in Jackson county. Which its temperature data tells me, is that in early May, the water temp is around 65 degrees, I am sure my 1000gallon pond will have warmed up more than that by then, regardless, another 10 degrees out of a pond heater for a month is nothing! Sorry.

Into September, the water is still at 76 degrees... May to September, 6 months. Sounds like plenty of pond time to me!

Why are you so **** negative? Be happy!

You clearly went out of your way to try and find a reason this wont work for me... and your results were sad. Elementary level! 4 lakes, what a joke!

Give me some real temperature data, MONTH BY MONTH, not 3 months out of the year, for the lakes around me (Lenawee County, Borders Ohio).

glasman

Happy fishies please!
Dec 9, 2009
Louisville Ky
Real Name
Scott
Take a look at a Hot Tub as an example. I have a 6 person, not sure how many gallons, maybe 300, in the middle of winter (its 28 right now) it only costs me about $35 a month to heat. I keep it at 85 and crank it to 104 an hour before i plan to use it. I think a similar heater in a semi-insulated pond would work wonderfully and keep it in the 70's but I would consider a cover of some sort.

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
Take a look at a Hot Tub as an example. I have a 6 person, not sure how many gallons, maybe 300, in the middle of winter (its 28 right now) it only costs me about $35 a month to heat. I keep it at 85 and crank it to 104 an hour before i plan to use it. I think a similar heater in a semi-insulated pond would work wonderfully and keep it in the 70's but I would consider a cover of some sort.
And I don't plan on it being used in dead of winter, just for "help" in spring...

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
It does sound mighty expensive to keep a pond heated for a tropical fish in Michigan. Or did you mean that you'd only be using it when it's warm enough out and they'll be inside for the rest of the year?

Oh, here's a thought. At least put a greenhouse or solar cover over it if you can. Might help out with insulation and keeping it warm in the longrun.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Is that your comeback? That I didn't provide a scientific study of a particular lake close to you? Only 4 lakes spread around Michigan. During the months where it would even be relevant to attempt to keep a tropical fish outside in a temperate zone? Does the concept of relative sample mean anything to you? Yes your smaller volume will heat up faster during the day, especially if it's in the sun. But it will also cool down faster at night.

I don't argue with stupid people. My 2013 prediction is that there will be one less redtail catfish in the world this time next year.

I am done with this thread.

Andy

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
I am done with this thread.

Andy
Good deal, about time, one less ignorant mind with nothing but negativity towards others ideas.

Sounds like somebody is a bit upset a 26yr old made him look less intelligent...

My 2013 prediction... U get smacked for being a moron!

Last edited:

Redtail Monster

Michigan
Nov 25, 2012
Manchester, MI
Real Name
Dan
It does sound mighty expensive to keep a pond heated for a tropical fish in Michigan. Or did you mean that you'd only be using it when it's warm enough out and they'll be inside for the rest of the year?

Oh, here's a thought. At least put a greenhouse or solar cover over it if you can. Might help out with insulation and keeping it warm in the longrun.
I plan on them being indoors for the cold months. From what most have said (other than one idiot), is that it should work fine with a small bit of assistance from a heater in the spring and maybe late fall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store