My review of the Sunsun External filter for 250g Aquariums HW-304A

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
i have and there basically the same canister filter except for some small differences. i think there has even been some discussion that sunsun might even make some part for the c-series but not completely sure

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Question for you, I have a 75g tank that I need a canister filter for. After reading your reviews and many of people it sounds like this filter is great. I was wondering if you think it will be good for a 75g turtle tank?

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
oops, this thread reminds me that I might should to clean mine, I set it up a couple months ago and have not cleaned it yet LOL :)

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Also your lucky you got it for that price I can't find that model from him, the other ones he has are the ones with the UV lamp in it which I don't need for $98.99

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
Check this out...

Check this out, I bought that SunSun filter and got this. Its the same thing but with a new name... and 6 month guarantee... All the same parts and pieces but just called GRECH...

Not sure if they had to change the name to avoid lawsuit... ?

Over looked it and looks fairly solid for the price paid. There are a few things that concern me but simple deductive reasoning suggests which parts and pieces to be cautious of i.e latches, hose valve, and other flimsy feeling parts, and also the ceramic impeller post(if its ceramic and not plastic). Overall the Grech filter seems a decent purchase and will update as necessary...

-Aaron

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Still have not cleaned mine :)

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Been 6 weeks for me and out of necessity will have to let it run for as long as possible before the first cleaning. But for a tight non-bypass stacked canister the Sunsun seems to be holding its own. Until the Sunsun and my other 7 floor canisters slow to a trickle I don't plan on changing them. That or the nitrates become noticeably higher like 60 PPM. But before that happens I may start with the oldest canister my FX5 now at 4 months running, and clean one of 8 canisters a week. The Sunsun will be put to the test and unlike my previously stock Fluval 404's which were big by-passers, I hope that when it comes time for cleaning the Sunsun doesn't look clean inside but very very dirty.

The filter that worries me at night when away is my sump being an open system there is always the possibility of a flood between long periods without inspection, even though I do have someone checking for flooding and fire everyday, they have no knowledge of my systems. But the Sunsun as a closed system albeit cheap, doesn't give me nightmares of clogged return lines and overflowing open tops.

Last edited:

slapnutz

Obsessed? Nah....
Jan 2, 2009
Kenosha, WI
I cleaned mine around the 5-6 week mark. Flow was still good, but it wasnt filtering out the crud anymore. Started sending it back into the tank. It was pretty bad inside. Replaced all the mech media, and water looks great again.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Small update. Just cleaned out the sunsun yesterday and wow! The amount of junk that came out of that bad boy was impressive. After starting the siphon to the bathtub and putting my 8 year old daughter on fish alert (she gets to hold the siphon hose and guard the inlet) I disconnected the quick releases (almost no water loss) and took that bad boy to the tub. I laid it down on it's side with inlet and outlet closest to the bottom and drained the water inside. The goop that came out during that step was pretty impressive in and of itself, but when I got down into the baskets I was IMPRESSED. It took me about 30 gallons of tank water to rinse down all internal parts. Ceramic rings, coarse filter pad, bio-balls, and polyfill were full. Added some carbon to the mix in an old pair of the girls' tights and re-assembled. Water still crystal clear. Pump still completely silent. Hoses and fittings showing no sign of stress or wear, other than being a bit scummy looking on the inlet side close to the window. Still the best money I've ever spent on a filter.

Still available under a different name from the ebay seller I bought from kool_goods. His/her ebay store koolest_goods. Though he appears to only have the 3 basket, 100 gal model at this time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store