My snails aren't active even at night. Concern?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
I have two small mystery snails in my 10g tank. Well, they haven't moved in about 3 days. One of them is "resting" right on the filter intake. The other is hidden below some plants. Now, I read that when snails die, their muscles relax, and their trap door opens due to this. Both of these snails doors are closed...

Should I be concerned? How long should I wait for them to move before I discard them as dead?

brads

AC Members
Jan 29, 2007
Spokane, WA
Now, I read that when snails die, their muscles relax, and their trap door opens due to this. Both of these snails doors are closed...

Should I be concerned? How long should I wait for them to move before I discard them as dead?
That is true. If the doors are still there, they're still alive. Doesn't sound good on the not moving though. Don't know.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Well, I'm concerned because he's pressed up against the filter, so that might be why his door is closed. Maybe I'll try to gently move him of and see if anything happens.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
what are the water parameters? tank seems a little crowed if its the one on your post, how big are they? put some food in there for them, by them, maybe a sliver or slice of cucumber? if they wont move to that, maybe they are getting ready to lay egg clusters?

sandsea

AC Members
Feb 25, 2006
Florida, USA
that's not normal unless the tank is a bit cold. put the temp to at least 70 degrees and do a good vaccuum of the gravel, with at least a 30 % water change. i have many Brig snails and they are always active unless ill or cold or someone is picking on them.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
The water params are normal:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

I'll try a piece of blanched lettuce. The tank's temp is set at 80-82 for the ram. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store