My Tanks: The Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Yeah.. im glad i havent used it but got a lil bit of it only though. I cant imagine what disater it could have been if i did use it.
I accidently bought some mushroom soil, soil that was taken from a farm where mushrooms were raised and which was intended to grow plants that needed a lot of nutrients and it was also supposed to produce rapid growth. I actually used it in a tank and didn't realize it until I added water. The water went from 0 to 50, from clear to tannin stained almost instantly. I tried water changes and carbon in the filter to remove the tannins, but it was the color of really dark tea and never lightened up. I started to get some weird things growing in it as well. I never added plants or fish and ended up breaking the tank down and starting over.

WYite

• Wow
Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I accidently bought some mushroom soil, soil that was taken from a farm where mushrooms were raised and which was intended to grow plants that needed a lot of nutrients and it was also supposed to produce rapid growth. I actually used it in a tank and didn't realize it until I added water. The water went from 0 to 50, from clear to tannin stained almost instantly. I tried water changes and carbon in the filter to remove the tannins, but it was the color of really dark tea and never lightened up. I started to get some weird things growing in it as well. I never added plants or fish and ended up breaking the tank down and starting over.

WYite
Why did you break it down? You could do your own mushroom farm *^* kidding. Sorry it happened, doesnt found fun. It was ammonia that has risen from 0 to 50ppm?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Why did you break it down? You could do your own mushroom farm *^* kidding. Sorry it happened, doesnt found fun. It was ammonia that has risen from 0 to 50ppm?
LOL. No. 0-50 is an expression. Car advertisements always advertise that a car will go from 0 to 50 mph in so many seconds, like 0 to 50 in 2 seconds. It just means it happened almost instantly.

After that happened I figured I better boil all the driftwood because it had all kind of fuzz and even some more solid things starting to grow on it. There was also this moving slime-mold looking stuff that gradually moved across the back glass. I don't know if there are any aquatic slime-molds, but I wasn't going to take any chances so rinsed the tank with bleach after it was empty.

If it wasn't for that slimy stuff I might have let it go just to see how it played out, but caution is th ebetter part of valor.

WYite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
In my experience, the slime stuff you get on driftwood is bacteria and fish/inverts will just eat it.. it's normally harmless.

And not sure there's anything problematic from mushroom soil,lust like any other soil it should be fine if capped properly.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
LOL. No. 0-50 is an expression. Car advertisements always advertise that a car will go from 0 to 50 mph in so many seconds, like 0 to 50 in 2 seconds. It just means it happened almost instantly.

After that happened I figured I better boil all the driftwood because it had all kind of fuzz and even some more solid things starting to grow on it. There was also this moving slime-mold looking stuff that gradually moved across the back glass. I don't know if there are any aquatic slime-molds, but I wasn't going to take any chances so rinsed the tank with bleach after it was empty.

If it wasn't for that slimy stuff I might have let it go just to see how it played out, but caution is th ebetter part of valor.

WYite
That sounds absolutely terrifying, like an alien fungus invasion :0

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
In my experience, the slime stuff you get on driftwood is bacteria and fish/inverts will just eat it.. it's normally harmless.

And not sure there's anything problematic from mushroom soil,lust like any other soil it should be fine if capped properly.
Well i suppose so, should be even more fine if bigger stuff as in wood chips be removed AND then capped properly. Not criticizing or anything, finally we all make mistakes. I remember when the soil was slightly rising up in my smaller walstad.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Still not gonna do soil ?

• Haha
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store