My Tanks: The Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
The tank has cleared up

View attachment 229685
Looks nice, Sprinkle.

:'( don't do swords.

Do chain swords or crypts.

Swords get far too big.
I've had E. berteroi that never reached more than about 12" or so. But to qualify that, far eastern Wyoming is right on the outside range of the species so I've never bought them; I've collected them wild. I've never seen a wild submerged one any bigger than that either, though the emersed ones are quite a bit taller. I usually have to collect the emersed form and transition them to aquatic because I rarely see them fully submerged. Anyways, I wonder if they may not get as large here in the northern part of their range, or if transitioning an emersed form to an aquatic form prevents them from growing as large.

WYite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I will start by saying that I had not considered berteroi, I don't recall ever seeing it for sale around here, and had to look it up.

It still sounds like it is too big of a plant for my tastes in an aquarium this size, 12" (assuming width as well as height) in an aquarium that is < 15" front to back (from memory) still would be too overpowering for my tastes, and then the spread of the roots and ever wanting to remove it can get messy, especially with a capped dirt substrate.

And yes, the emersed form of the plant will be different, bigger in your case, from submerged, the big difference is that outside of the water the pieces of the plant, leaf stem etc.) Need to be so much bigger or thicker to support the weight of the plant without the water. You will also see different growth based on the length of the photoperiod as plants will transition to it from winter growth based on this and you will normally get better and bigger plant growth if you leave the lights on for more than 8 or 10 hours (and control algae by having less light intensity or simply dimming them)

And I wish I knew more about aquatic plants here in PA. I had to turn down a trip to Florida hunting for plants just before Covid, and need my health to be better before I go out anywhere else.. but it's absolutely on my bucket list if things to do. At least in the continental US anyway.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Looks nice, Sprinkle.
Thank you! :)
Those are good pics, I have a hard time getting good pics. I have to take video & get screenshots from that ☺
Thank you! I know what you mean tho, fish are moving a lot and it is hard to get a good pic of my PF as he moves constantly. But I did the only time with my female swordtail for my profile pic :)

Reactions: Stormyrose786

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Hmm long time since i posted here. Some may know, dirt got out of control and ehm, things happened inside my own head and that kept me out of here..

In the plastic 15l tote, my vampire shrimp passed away from very possible molt problems. Other shrimps, and snails, are doing very fine. Too well, couple or just one of my cherries are berried.

The emerald cory I have rescued, hides constantly. My dear friend, she said they like to hide, so maybe mine does but I still am worried about the lil guy.

Today, I came from school to see partially eaten dead body of my now, deceased white cloud male.

I dont feel like doing it anymore....

20210421_193127.jpg20210421_193104.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Stormyrose786
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store