My Three Toed Box Turtle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
whew, i was worried that i had seriously jacked her up. so i have turnip greens, cherry tomatoes, squash, stuff like that. would that be a good diet for her, and a little bit of the canned dog food like once a month, or once every two months, or should i scratch the dogfood and go with stuff like crickets, super worms, earthworms, stuff like that for protein?
also, i will have an unlimited supply of black berries when the weather warms up, so would those be ok?

about the male female thing, the plastron is concave, does that mean anything? she also has really long nails. you can't really see it in the pics, but they are long enough to be curving at the ends. i know that with aquatic turtles that is a male characteristic, but im not sure on boxes.

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Oh and i found that picture of that wild box turtle that i found a long time ago. the pic was taken with a camera phone, so of course most of the brilliant color is washed out, but you can kinda get an idea of how gorgeous he was. (don't worry, i picked him up to take the pic and then it was freedom for him once again ;) )
.jpg

.jpg

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
whew, i was worried that i had seriously jacked her up. so i have turnip greens, cherry tomatoes, squash, stuff like that. would that be a good diet for her, and a little bit of the canned dog food like once a month, or once every two months, or should i scratch the dogfood and go with stuff like crickets, super worms, earthworms, stuff like that for protein?
also, i will have an unlimited supply of black berries when the weather warms up, so would those be ok?

about the male female thing, the plastron is concave, does that mean anything? she also has really long nails. you can't really see it in the pics, but they are long enough to be curving at the ends. i know that with aquatic turtles that is a male characteristic, but im not sure on boxes.
Sploke hit the nail on the head. One of the main reasons your turtle has shell pyramiding is because of the dog food. Try to feed a more varied diet from the list of food items I gave you. Crickets, superworms and earthworms are a good replacement for dog food. They love black berries so definitely feed those.

If the shell is concaved than it should be a male. if you're unsure of it take a side view photo of the turtle and I can tell you what sex it is. The old photo you have shows a male Three-Toe. They're usually much more colorful than the females and most (not all) have red eyes. The long nail thing doesn't really work for box turtles but usually the females have longer back nails for digging holes during egg laying. Of course it's easier to see when you have the two sexes side by side.

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
aw i feel bad for feeding her that. well now i know what to do and how to fix it.
yep, the shell is definitely concave, but there is no bright coloration, the back leg's nails are really long, and the eyes are green/brown...maybe what i think is concave isn't concave...i remember what concave means because "cave" is in the word, and caves go inward, right? i am just going to post a picture later when my camera is charged and ask you to tell me lol

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Plastron shape is the best way to sex Terrapene carolina. Females have flat plastrons that sometimes have a slight concave. But when you compare them to the males you can really see the difference. The females is flat so they have more room to hold eggs and the males is concave for balancing on the females shell during mating.

Eye color isn't a reliable way to sex them but usually the females have brown eyes and the males have red, pink or orange eyes. I actually have a female that has orange eyes and I've had people try to tell me she's a he basted on it. But trust me, she's a female. The egg laying kind of gives it away.

crimsonmoon

Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
wow she's beautiful
i think that my "he" is a "she", she only barely has a slight concave, and all the other signs point to female lol.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Thanks. That particular turtle is very colorful for a female. Most of the time the males are more colorful. From the pics you provided it looks like yours is a female.

biggie357

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
Can box turtles be kept inside in a habitat (such as the canadian climate outside, but simulated indoors), or do they need to be in a warm, humid place like florida? Ive had a few red ear sliders and (dont tell anyone... :p) a few painted turtles, but ive always wanted a dry turtle.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Can box turtles be kept inside in a habitat (such as the canadian climate outside, but simulated indoors), or do they need to be in a warm, humid place like florida? Ive had a few red ear sliders and (dont tell anyone... :p) a few painted turtles, but ive always wanted a dry turtle.
For the most part North American Box Turtles don't thrive well when kept indoors with the possible exception of Ornate Box Turtles. Terrapene carolina (the subspecies Eastern, Three-Toed, Gulf Coast and Florida) do best when given a cooling period to hibernate for a few weeks to a few months. This is extremely important for the Eastern subspecies. Without it then can become stressed and this will shorten their lifespan greatly.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
So you've got some experienced keepers giving solid experienced advice - your in a good starting place, I've been keeping boxies for, gosh more than 30 years, one thing I've learned is that their captive care has come a LONG way & options to improve their lives and enable them to live longer have grown as well.

Here is a link to a good starter caresheet - general to EBT's not just the 3 toed http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-easternboxie.htm if you scroll around ATP - that site you will find a forum dedicated entirely to turtles and their care, while forums are good for the give and take response one of the best things about that site is their archive of care articles - tons of good info. - I don't want to overload you overmuch esp. as you 've got good help and good plans, but a few tips that I think would matter most right now -
most of the box turtle care books haven't caught up to the best care info so ATP & turtleforum is a good place to go for up to date diet options and captive care info - I don't recommend turtle times, just because they haven't really caught up and don't get as much traffic or seem to have as many long term breeders, ATP/turtleforum mirrors this one and is also a good place to check classifieds for additional turts, that being said - turtles don't get lonely and more than one is more than twice the work - fighting biting, sharing illness - it's all a potential issue, plus you would want to specifically determine the type of boxie you already have to avoid integrade breeing issues, she/he seems like a slightly atypical 3 toed more like a carolina carolina than a triungis skull shape and coloring both on the skin and the shell (& that is not due to the bit of prymiding). Your turt actually appears to be an integrade itself, a plastron shot at a slight front to back angle, a straight on tail shot and a side view would make sexing almost 100% accurate online if the pics are good.
Any live food typically found in the wild is a good add on, earthworms - many people use baitworms - naightcrawlers are a favorite, a few waxworms are good - avoid mealies too much chiton crickets are good if you can contain them or don't mine pulling off the jumping legs proi to feeding, my EBT's love rolly polies, slugs, assorted beetles (june bugs are eay to get in season), and the domestically bred feeder roaches... anyway live food stimulates appetite and mixed with vegies is a good diet if you check the link info I posted there are numerous feeding schedules based on the diet make-up and proportions based on turt size.
If you do live foods & veggies & can supplement with a good turtle food - I use small amounts of moistened zoo med aqautic turtle pellets that is a great diet staple, many swear by jurassidiet for turts, I do see an improvement when corn & soy fillers are avoided - the only dog food I ever offer is for undernourised turts (non-eaters) & rescues that need the more intensified calories & then I use simple ingredient dog foods, I like wellness brand 2 protien mixes- just a meat, a veggie and a rice formula no corn/soy etc which can block nutrient absorbsotion in a turt.
Once yours is outside D3/calcium not so much of an issue but even with UVB supplements are a good thing a good quality herp dust like repcal calcium D3 & herptivite are my first choice.
FYI - turtlesale is the most ill reputed turtle place on the web - their death rate is apalling, they mis label turtles often and their practices are 'iffy' at best, far better to check the kingsnake classifieds...remember too the minumum quarenteen before putting 2 turts together is 90 days, six months recommended & if you hibernate, a full year, russ gurly's book on NA American turtles is a good resource, and turtlesource.com in florida is building a rep with some care info & animals for sale (rep. = pricey but quite good). Good luck with your boxie and good for you in devoting yourself to it's care.:thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store