My turn for a shrimp ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Wow. You are sure she was one of the ones you bought, you got them recently enough that she could not have been bred, born and grown up in your tank? I have heard of neos , even carefuly bred to their own color type, throwing a reversion to wild type. Or possibly a spontaneous mutation for a new color morph? It would be nice if you could catch her if she becomes berried and keep the offspring in isolation to see how a yellow/"green" backcross goes. Keep that population isolated for a few generations (with additions if She-Hulk breeds again) and see what results.

Or maybe your batch of yellows had had a late-night visit from the legendary Blue Neo. Yellow plus blue of course yields.... :)

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Wow. You are sure she was one of the ones you bought, you got them recently enough that she could not have been bred, born and grown up in your tank?
Yep...positive. I keep them in a tank with CRS/CBS. I got them just a little while back. It was amazing watching the transformation. I was thinking something was wrong with her but she appears nice and healthy. Just recently had my first babes hatch out and a few other ladies berried ATM. Will keep a close eye on her and see if she berries up. Curious if the eggs will still be yellow as well with this mutation?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Something weird going on here folks....

Here is the original gal. Nice yellow saddle:

Now...take a look here. I could be wrong here, but I'm seeing green coming through here as well. There is another female that is mutating too.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I was just going to post and ask if you are feeding any color enhancing formulas. Its absolutely, 100% true. Naturose (asthaxanthin) will change a yellow shrimp green.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
No color enhancing feeds. I feed Kens veggie flakes and occassionally the tropical flakes.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
This is the ingredient list from the website. Wha cha think?

Extra stabilized vitamin c and fresh fish oil upgrade this complete diet. For freshwater and marine fish. Ingredients: fish meal, brewers dried yeast, soy flour. Oat flour, corn gluten meal, shrimp meal, dried plankton, dried spirulina algae, dried kelp, lecithin, vitamin supplements a, d3, b12, biotin, thiamine (source of vitamin b1), natural coloring, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin c).

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Here she is today with eggs. She's camera shy and definately knows when I'm trying to take the pic. She's up near the top of the tank which shows more yellow. However, when she heads away from the light, the green really comes through. Yesterday I removed a lot of the cover (duckweed) and did some trimming so there is more light in the tank now. I tried to get one shot of her looking down on her back. Green on both sides with the yellow racing stripe down the middle. :)

Now looking at the eggs, most appear to be like a pea green color. I think some are yellow as well. Will definately continue to monitor her as the days go by and see what transpires.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
How much longer do you think I should wait to put her in a breeder net? I don't want to do it too soon or too late.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store