My very first aquarium set up.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I can't wait to see the stock list also, hope you don't fall victim to "Multiple tank syndrome"

:bowing::goldfish::goldfish::goldfish: :goldfish::goldfish::goldfish: :goldfish::goldfish::goldfish: :goldfish:

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
This is my best friend from high school.

She did it all one night all by herself! It looks absolutely terrific! I'm very proud of her!

Right now she has a HOB that came with the tank. It's not very good so I'm going to lend her my Rena XP3 until she gets one of her own.

She wants to get discus however I'm a bit concerned about these being a beginner fish. I will be there to help, and our tapwater is very soft and ideal for discus, however I myself have never kept discus. It's my understanding they're fragile but someone experienced with discus can chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong. The pet store's also telling her she can keep black mollies with them, which I think do best in a tank with higher GH and KH, much unlike our tapwater. I'm thinking angels and other non-aggressive Amazon fish would be better tank mates.

Anyway, the next step right now is getting that tank fishless cycled, and I'm going to help. I'm thinking of just adding liquid ammonia (Gold's from Walmart). The petstore told her just to add a pinch of fish food, Seachem Stability, and after only one week it will be cycled, however I don't think it's quite that easy. We also want to avoid anything that might smell, like a rotting shrimp.

Thanks everyone for reading.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Great looking setup. i love the driftwood.
The LFS did give lousy advice regarding putting a Molly in with the softwater loving Discus. And the quick, casual cycling adivice is dangerous as well. I have not used Stability but it could be worth a try if you dose with pure ammonia and monitor parameters closely before adding the fish.
I would definately go with amazon type tankmates; a large school of cardinal tetras should be right at home with a small group of 3 Discus. Is your friend prepared to do frequent, large water changes for Discus fish? There are definately easier fish for a beginner tank. Angels would be a logical alternative.

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Are those fake plants? they look pretty real! Lending Her your Xp3 should Cycle it instantly if it is use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store