My weather loach is ill and im not sure what it is or if i am doing the right things

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jay284

Registered Member
Feb 21, 2019
Okay so I have a 125l fish tank with 6 goldfish, 2 weather loach and a loach glass cleaner type, cannot remember it's proper name.

Tank has had a recent spike so my levels are
Amonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 5.00
Ph 7
Temp 18c

I have been treating the tank with Seachem prime as well as stability to boost the biofilter as we have recently put in some new audiments.
As well I have been treating with paraguard and stress guard all seachem.

None of my other fish have had issues but one of my loaches is not looking so good. Has been eating but not moving round much. Not the usual energy he usually has. Doing daily water changes too to help with dpike trying to reduce too.

He has large patches of grey/white on him and is slowly getting worse and more widespread

Please if anyone can help please help as u fear I may loose him.

I have attached several pics so if anyone can figure it out please let me know I would be so greatful!

DSC_2806.JPG

DSC_2805.JPG

DSC_2804.JPG

DSCPDC_0003_BURST20190220012229519_COVER.JPG

DSCPDC_0002_BURST20190220012229519.JPG

DSCPDC_0001_BURST20190220012229519.JPG

DSCPDC_0002_BURST20190220012224555_COVER.JPG

DSCPDC_0000_BURST20190220012224555.JPG

DSC_2803.JPG

DSC_2800.JPG

DSCPDC_0003_BURST20190220012204530_COVER.JPG

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
As you probably know, ammonia and nitrite should be 0 at all times. The reason for the spike is your tank is overstocked.
I recommend reading this article: http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/what-size-tank-for-goldfish/

The filter is much too small for this bio load as well.
It also has no live plants to use any ammonia, and fake plants will hurt weather loaches. He (it's a he..) might have hurt himself... or it could be an infection. I would use Artemiss by Microbelift for that first... it doesn't affect the filter bacteria. Anti biotics will kill the filter bacteria and you will have to cycle all over again.

Reactions: Jay284

Jay284

Registered Member
Feb 21, 2019
As you probably know, ammonia and nitrite should be 0 at all times. The reason for the spike is your tank is overstocked.
I recommend reading this article: http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/what-size-tank-for-goldfish/

The filter is much too small for this bio load as well.
It also has no live plants to use any ammonia, and fake plants will hurt weather loaches. He (it's a he..) might have hurt himself... or it could be an infection. I would use Artemiss by Microbelift for that first... it doesn't affect the filter bacteria. Anti biotics will kill the filter bacteria and you will have to cycle all over again.

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it.

Does that mean by what you said the para guard I currently use effects the bio filter every time I put it in?
I will look at that artemiss tonight and order some.
The filter I use is built for a 240l tank, is that still too small for thus?
My levels have been good and at 0 for months now as like you said I am always concerned at anything as it is harmful, even my nitrates were at 0, but my partner did not keep to my regime of cleaning the tank every 2 weeks and left it 4 without me knowing as I was away and that was when it spiked.

I will get some plants for the tank tomorrow too, I must admit I never knew that plants used up ammonia. Could you recommend any plants?

I know next year as I know the bigger they get it will become too small the tank, there next tank will be a 300l tank as I plan to keep them through their lifespan

Thank you again for all your advice as I am still very much a beginner at all this

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Jay, welcome and sorry to hear about your issues!

How long have you had this tank setup? Have there been any new additions to the tank? Adding a new fish is always going to pose the risk of introducing a parasite or illness to the tank the other fish have never come in contact with before.

Like said, 33 gallons is not nearly enough water volume or space for the type and amount of fish you have. Good for you for doing water changes in the meantime. That is the main thing you should be doing.

Reactions: Jay284

Jay284

Registered Member
Feb 21, 2019
Jay, welcome and sorry to hear about your issues!

How long have you had this tank setup? Have there been any new additions to the tank? Adding a new fish is always going to pose the risk of introducing a parasite or illness to the tank the other fish have never come in contact with before.

Like said, 33 gallons is not nearly enough water volume or space for the type and amount of fish you have. Good for you for doing water changes in the meantime. That is the main thing you should be doing.

What size tank would you suggest is adequate for the ones I have? Most of my knowledge is based on what I can find online and help from people in the shops.

No new fish, I had just put some new scenery in and had not realised to sterilise first, I have since done so but unsure if that was the cause as it was after this he became ill.

I have had the setup for a year nearly now, which is why I had a planned upgrade in line with growth etc of the fish but can look to advance that if needed. Would 300litre tank be adequate do you think?

I have ordered some new medicine as suggested to me and the water changes I am continuing to bring levels etc down plus to help clear and parasite/bacteria i thought it may be. I'm just hoping he can hold on until the medicine gets here

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Over the course of the year, did you do weekly water changes? How much water did you change?

If these are comet or common goldfish, there really isn't a home use tank big enough for 6 of them to be kept properly. If these are fancy goldfish, they don't need quite as much water volume or space. You could do 6 fancy goldfish in a 90g tank IMO.

I am certainly not the stocking police! I kept 2 comets and 2 fancies in a 55g tank for a few years. When that tank sprung a leak, I rehomed all 4 into a family member's pond.

I'd hate to loose that dojo loach! I'd put him in a quarantine tank to monitor. I'm not experienced with meds. I've never really used them. Just water changes.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it.

Does that mean by what you said the para guard I currently use effects the bio filter every time I put it in?
I will look at that artemiss tonight and order some.
The filter I use is built for a 240l tank, is that still too small for thus?
My levels have been good and at 0 for months now as like you said I am always concerned at anything as it is harmful, even my nitrates were at 0, but my partner did not keep to my regime of cleaning the tank every 2 weeks and left it 4 without me knowing as I was away and that was when it spiked.

I will get some plants for the tank tomorrow too, I must admit I never knew that plants used up ammonia. Could you recommend any plants?

I know next year as I know the bigger they get it will become too small the tank, there next tank will be a 300l tank as I plan to keep them through their lifespan

Thank you again for all your advice as I am still very much a beginner at all this
The Para Guard won't affect the bio filter but it is against parasites which aren't the problem.
Your filter is for a tank with small bodied fish like neons and guppys. Goldfish and other large bodied fish need big filters...
Get low light plants such as Java fern, African water fern, Anubias, Anarcharis, Ludwigia.
Take a look at the link I sent. I see you have comets those just get too big you can't permanently house them even in a 300 liter tank.
300 liter would be great for the weather loaches. They could have some more friends (they are the most social fish you can imagine) and you can have like rosy barbs which look just like gold fish but don't get that big and don't need a heater either. They have those in yellow and with fancy tails as well.
Goldfish are great for ponds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store