My wife wants Angles but...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emergent

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
My wife wants Angels but...

My wife likes Angels but I'm not sure on how they would do with the fish I already have.

1 Electric Yellow Cichlid (male)
1 Kenyi Cichlid (female)
1 Jewel Cichlid (male)
1 Plecotomus (not sure yet)
1 Gourami (pain in the *** female)
3 Cherry Barbs (mix)

I do plan on getting a Spiny Eel, a Black Ghost Knife, and maybe a African Butterfly. Would there be any problems between any of the fish I listed and the Angels?

Last edited:

emergent

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
i do not know what sex the Pleco is right now. I am keeping them in a 46gl tank right now. I will greaduate to a 70 plus in a year or so.

MajorGFX

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2006
What happens if you tell her no? Whats the consequences.

emergent

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Nothing to bad, but she knew I wanted a fish tank for a long time and she saved up hundreds of dollars to buy it for me and then gave me a gift certificate to buy the rest of the equipment. I think she has kinda earned a right to have a fish or two that she wants.

Plus I think they would make a great addition unless it would be completely uncompatible with the fish i already have. The barbs are no big deal, I'll get rid of them in a heart beat as I used them to cycle the tank and they happened to survive it.

So you can see why i would like to get Angles for her. She saved all that money on her own by selling some of her collectibles on Ebay and saving birthday cash she got from family for me. :p:

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
I would not get them-some of the fish you have are African cichlids and would be to aggressive for them. Maybe you could wait till you got the bigger tank and use the 46 gallon for them. I bet your wife would like that better than her fish getting beat up on.

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
I wish my fiance were that supportive. He thinks it will be more trouble than its worth. I on the otherhand am obsessivley waiting. After lots of saving, I'll be buying my tank on Thursday.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I dont think they would work. Africans are different than south americans in diet, ph, hardness, and body language. As for barbs being nippy, thats a relative term. I doubt they would last too long if they tried to start trouble with the cichlids you have. How about waiting for the upgrade for your fish, then using the old tank for her angels?

As for the BGK, thats a no unless you plan on getting at least a 250gal, the ABF wont be a problem as long as its not too small in comparison to the size of your current fish (get one closer to adult size)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
do some research..but it looks like you could add angels
what kind of gourami do you have?..some gouramis don't do well with angels and may damage fins.I might be concerned with them especially if you add young angels to established gouramis.

also the rule of thumb for angels..1 per 10 gallons.
they get pretty big. but you can compensate with frequent water changes.
how big is your tank?

angels make great center piece fish and actively approach the glass when you enter the room.(begging)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store