mystery snail eating new mystery snail's poop

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
i had two mystery snails for about 6 mos., but a few days ago one of them died. i decided to get a couple more mystery snail friends for the existing one so i picked 2 more up yest. from petstore. they all get along great but i did notice my old snail eating the poop of the new ones. what gives? i thought myst. snails dont eat feces.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Oh, they sure will! My mystery snails eat my goldfish poop all the time. They don't do it as a primary food source, or anything, but, if they come across some poop with undigested nutrients in it... they will certainly chow down.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
What are you feeding the snails? If one died and the old one is eating poop, he could be starving. I know they will eat it anyway if they come across some, but it's not their preferred primary food source.

Are you giving them algae wafers or any kind of pellets? Also making sure to give calcium supplements?

Tryingtohelp89

Registered Member
Jul 4, 2021
All over the internet it states that they will not eat poop but they do. I just witnessed it tonight. They were eating the plecos waste. I feed my little guys the algae wafers. They have calcium added to them. They will eat what they can if they are hungry enough but always make sure you have enough of what they need

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store