Myths of fishkeeping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
Hi all

I know that there are numerous myths unknowingly spread around by aquarists. Some i have believed until further enlightened by others. These are some of the myths that i can think of off the top of my head.

1) Aquarium salt is a must when treating tanks, regular table salt will not do.

2) Catfish and scaleless fish cannot tolerate salt at all. When in reality they can, long term use is not recommended though.

3) Ick is always present in your tank. But, really, once you kill it, its gone for good, unless you reintroduce it into your tank.

4) Fish will grow to the size of the tank. But, In reality, their innards grow but their body doesn't, leaving them to be very unhealthy on the long run.

Anyone else want to pitch in? My explanations are brief and may not be 100% accurate, so feel free to correct me or add in your 2 cents.

BTW, this is not meant to be a debate thread. If you disagree with anything, start a new thread.

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
floating a fish for 30 min, thats a horrible idea, the fish thinks it has gotten eaten by a jelly fish and is horribly stressed out! the water is usualy the same temp, just dump him in and let him swim to a safe spot!

mrkeeg

AC Members
Aug 29, 2003
Alberta
Visit site
Really Hans?

I honestly haven't heard before that you shouldn't float them and slowly add the new water. Guess that is why we are on the myth-busting thread.

Keegan

PS: how about the myth I've heard perpetuated in fish stores and some online sources that you should never use natural wood (only the stuff they sell for $$/pound). I don't even boil nice peices of dry wood I find in the bush here, just hose them off and plunk em in.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Really Hans?
You may want to consider the source. seldom does anything serious comes from Hans IME. despite the fact that he could help a lot of people if he would quit messing around and share what he really knows, I imagine he does know a lot of good info.
you may also want to avoid dumping fish in a tank that isn't the same temp or water parrameter that they are used to. acclimation is very important. there are many ways to acclimate, and time and method vary widely. But it will be easier for your fish if they are acclimated before they go in the tank.
Likewise you may get away with dumping some straight in. others will do the horozontal backstroke for you.
dave

lark

AC Members
Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
It has always seemed to me that most people think fish only live a short time. Some do live a very short time(Killifish) while others live a long time(Lungfish, Koi). That what I like about fish; the amazing array of adaptations and the huge diversity. People always group them together.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
mrkeeg said:
Really Hans?

I honestly haven't heard before that you shouldn't float them and slowly add the new water. Guess that is why we are on the myth-busting thread.

Keegan

PS: how about the myth I've heard perpetuated in fish stores and some online sources that you should never use natural wood (only the stuff they sell for $$/pound). I don't even boil nice peices of dry wood I find in the bush here, just hose them off and plunk em in.
Here is a couple of sites of acclinmation: http://www.bestfish.com/tips/050798.html and
http://www.aquamaniacs.net/newfishselection.html

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
Lark, there's even a myth within your myth's answer. some killifish do have short lives where some actually live many years. Kyle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store