Name that one fish that you totally regret getting...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
Ah yes...I remember it well...It was a red snakehead that could eat anything that that wasn't twice its size. Second place goes to a female jack dempsey that had now problem demolishing other dempseys, Texas cichlids and just about anything else in my 125 gal.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
It's a tie between a melanachromatis auratis female and my current blue tetras.

The cichlid (I took as a rescue from a friend, not knowing anything about how aggressive they are when I was 14) ATE the eyes of 1 of my cory cats, and 1 eye of another, nipped their tail and fin to shreds, killed a lot of fish, injured the rest, all in less then 6 hours overnight. After treating and healing the community fish I rehomed them because no one would take the cichlid and I couldn't keep her in the bucket permantly. So she got the 29 gallon all to herself and costed my at least $200 in fish/meds. (I liked her personality though, after I forgave her for being a monster, she moved the gravel around in her mouth a lot, it was cute.)

The blue tetras I bought 8 for about $4 each, they got ich and while treating them in my QT/H tank, I used half the dosage of ich cure meds I got, watched for 2 hours and they were fine, left for the movie and got back 3 hours later, 3 were dead. Moved back to main tank (just heat treating it) and the next morning 3 more died. So now I have 2 tetras left, and I really don't want them but can't rehome cause they are my boyfriends favorite. So after everyone is well, I have to spend more money to get more of a fish I don't like.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
My Dwarf Gouramis. I bought 3 of them when I first started out. One had ich really bad and in my rookie days I didn't QT or know what ich looked like. I felt bad for him and didn't realize he was sick. He spread the ich, I started treating but lost one of my $25 L144 long fins I just got. He died himself and I was left with 2. They faught like crazy to the point where 1 was almost died. Took the abused one to a store. Had just 1 left then he turned his agression on my german blue ram. Almost killed him so I got rid of the last gourami. Had them for like 2 months and all they did was spread disease and pick on anything that moved. I have no urge to buy another dwarf gourami.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I would have to say, my 10g tank. Should have gone to a 20 or 29 instead. But it will be useful in the future and right now, so not a total loss.

minka-1974

AC Members
Sep 15, 2009
Surrey, England
Like petluvr I bought some clown loaches and wish I hadn't ... the remaining one is actually quite a happy chap since I put some corys in the tank (they do play together which is weird to watch as he is three times their size!)

Makes me feel a little happier as I (now) know my tank is too small to have a group of clowns but don't want to take him back as they will just sell him to someone else saying 'oh 50 gallons is fine for a group of them'

SHWAGert

RAGE QUIT!
Feb 11, 2011
NC
Real Name
Daniel
jewel cichlids.......I thought it was awesome that with my first attempt at sexing them I got 2 that almost immediately paired off. Then I realized a few days later how bad of a decision that was, as they destroyed every living thing in the 55 gallon tank. They killed the other 2 cichlids (glad I started with only 4) in the tank and all of the plants. They laid claim to every single hiding place/cave in the tank, and I took special care to assure there was 3 caves per fish. If they so much as saw movement they went into kill mode. They even killed the snails

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Whoops, this is that one fish you regret, not the one thing you regret. In that case it would be a zebra danio for a tank with 2 guppies and 3 neon tetras. But he is long gone now.

Danny-O

How do I change my user title?
Mar 4, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.howmanyfish.com
Glofish, those genetically modified Danios. Very pretty, but I always felt vaguely guilty for buying them. Anyway, the four of them succumbed to various ills that overbred fish get: curved spines, general failure to thrive, sudden unexplained death, over a period of two years. Last one died last month. And it wasn't my fishkeeping...my regular Zebra Danios in that same tank lasted about four years, past their typical life expectancy, and the black khuli loaches in the same tank have been there for five and a half years.

Last edited:

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
discus fish babies which turned out to be stunted........i checked them wrong........when purchasing and didn't look at the eyes.....instead i checked their colors:( stupid me.......but now those are gone.........i have a baby blue hi fin.........which i most likely am rehomign or keeping if i purchase more from a reliable source...........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store