Nano fish that are ok with moderate-fairly strong flow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Hi, I’m getting ready to start a stiphodon tank and and I’m looking for ideas for a top dwelling nano fish that can handle the high flow and can either do well singly or in pairs or possibly 3, but no more than 3 ( prefer a pair). Size wise, I’m thinking something no bigger than guppies
The tank will have frogbit as the only plant

Thanks for any ideas!

IMG_2759.jpeg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
The frogbit will not like the flow hahaha...

That said, most of what I could recommend are schooling fish unfortunately.

Hard to say, what's the tank size?

If it's at least 10 gallons and you are a little open to the idea of a small school... you could do 6-8 microdevario kubotai, but absolutely no smaller than a 10 gallon. Despite their 0.75" size, they're very active so will not thrive in smaller.

I can't think of any pairing fish that do well with flow unfortunately. Most are schoolers or bottom dwellers lol

Reactions: FishAddict74

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I agree with NoodlCats. I'd like Vietnamese whiteclouds again. I had them in a sewellia loach & mixed stiphodon goby 55g...but they're schoolers.

What size is your tank? It seems maybe too small? Stiphodon are interesting, I've kept 3 species. Stiphodon percnopterygionus are very small but, well, tankmates are hard to find.

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
The frogbit will not like the flow hahaha...

That said, most of what I could recommend are schooling fish unfortunately.

Hard to say, what's the tank size?

If it's at least 10 gallons and you are a little open to the idea of a small school... you could do 6-8 microdevario kubotai, but absolutely no smaller than a 10 gallon. Despite their 0.75" size, they're very active so will not thrive in smaller.

I can't think of any pairing fish that do well with flow unfortunately. Most are schoolers or bottom dwellers lol
No worries, thanks anyway. The frogbit have ended up in a few dead areas at the top, so hopefully the do alright in those areas. But like you, I can’t think of anything either, which is fine since I was really just planning on stiphodon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store