Nano tank setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

userxmeuz

AC Members
Feb 27, 2019
Hi,
I have setup this nano (10 Gallon). Excel fertilizer and CO2 dozing along with submersible motor filteration. Will my grass cover the carpet? How many days does it take to get lush greens?

IMG_20190227_131731.jpg

IMG_20190227_131722.jpg

IMG_20190227_131713.jpg

IMG_20190227_131713.jpg

Reactions: PLD

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome and that's a very nice looking setup.

Tell us more about the tank's lighting? Adding CO2 can increase the growth rate of your plants, but only when it's balanced with the lighting you have and the nutrients that are supplied to the plants. It's a balancing act.

What do you intend to stock in terms of fish?

userxmeuz

AC Members
Feb 27, 2019
Welcome and that's a very nice looking setup.

Tell us more about the tank's lighting? Adding CO2 can increase the growth rate of your plants, but only when it's balanced with the lighting you have and the nutrients that are supplied to the plants. It's a balancing act.

What do you intend to stock in terms of fish?
Thank you! It is a 7500K LED lamp. It is a "Fluval 9 gallon tank" readily available with carbon insert in foam. I set it up 2 days ago and keep lights for 8-10 hrs. Along with dozing I am using Fluval Stratum substrate. I wish the entire carpet fills with grass. Also I am using RO water. For fishes I plan to introduce from the choices of guppies,tetra, swordtails and platies. Thinking of 3 guppies and 5 tetras OR any 2 species (3 fishes each)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just curious why you are using RO water? That's going to strip out some of the minerals that plants use. It can also alter you pH quickly which isn't good. How do you intend to cycle this tank for fish?

In terms of fish, 9gal is not enough for guppies, platys or sword tales. I would suggest a male betta or a group of micro rasboras, celestial pearl danios, maybe some neon tetras, etc.

userxmeuz

AC Members
Feb 27, 2019
The tap water is quite hard. It looks little cloudy whereas RO water is crystal clear. I gave a thought on this but wouldn't fertilizer dozing (Flourish Excel) make up for that?
For fishes, then I will go with neon tetras and may be these other species you mentioned if I can get those. How many number of such fishes can I keep?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The tap water is quite hard. It looks little cloudy whereas RO water is crystal clear. I gave a thought on this but wouldn't fertilizer dozing (Flourish Excel) make up for that?
For fishes, then I will go with neon tetras and may be these other species you mentioned if I can get those. How many number of such fishes can I keep?
Unless there's things in the water you really need to remove, I wouldn't use RO water for your weekly water changes in this tank. After you've established a nitrogen cycle in this tank and you know it produces nothing but nitrates with your test kit, you could probably stock with 8-10 neon tetras or 10 celestial pearl danios. Both groups would be too much for 9gal. There's other options too in terms of stocking. Hopefully others will chime in.

One more thing. Do these fishes nib or uproot my plants?
All fish swill skim the surfaces. Those listed above should do no damage to them.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would think about what you are adding to your aquarium in terms of bottled chemicals.

Excel is not a fertilizer, more an algaecide that will allow the plants better access to what little CO2 there is in the water, it might also cause plants to melt.

If you are using CO2, then there is no need, is you are not, I still wouldn't necessarily use Excel on a routing basis (or any of the other 'liquid carbon' supplements). I f you need to fertilize I would consider something like Thrive (Get it from NilocG.com or amazon or whatever)

But if the grass grows, it should absolutely cover all of the substrate except where stopped from doing so. I think it would do better with supplemental CO2, and I'm not entirely sure about the kit light that comes with the Flex.

But see what happens, know what deficiencies will look like.

Aesthetically, I would have tried to have the rock taller, it's likely to get lost in the aquascape unless it's many times bolder (Excuse the pun), I'd like to see the rock to the top 10% of the aquarium, if not out of the tank

userxmeuz

AC Members
Feb 27, 2019
Yeah, I read on the bottle of Excel to use every other day and not daily. I have not yet introduced the fishes (micro rasboras). What I understand is to wait for nitrogen cycle to get established. For other bits and pieces I am thinking of buying ph test strips, temp. digital meter and nitrite test kit. I am assuming that my substrate which is 'Fluval Stratum for shrimps and plants' will be good enough as the pack says that it contains micro macro nutrients so the dilemma of using RO water for clarity and softness may be abated.

As it a nano tank with planting restriction, I thought of forming a border of java moss tied to pebble and place on the separation of substrate and red gravel. Moss does not require substrate and then I put wisteria tied to pebble and just place it at the back (some say it is not for nano). Then place another plant with no need of soil. This way I can me it more greener.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store