Nano tank setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The only way a nitrogen cycle is going to happen is if you provide an ammonia source into the tank. It doesn't happen on it's own. Read up on fishless cycling. You will need a test kit that measures for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in PPM. Most use the API master test kit. They are $20-20 online and last for years. I wouldn't be concerned with pH at this point. The other thing to consider is small water volumes can be trickier to cycle than a larger volume, so read up on cycling, ask questions, learn patience like you've never known...... and have the means and willingness to do water changes!

One way to speed the process along or instantly cycle the tank is to use the filtration media out of an established tank in your new 9gal tank. A sock or media bag of substrate out of an established tank can also work.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it's rewarding in the end.

Last edited:

userxmeuz

AC Members
Feb 27, 2019
I will introduce rasboras in there in a week and go ahead by measurements of nitrates. Yeah, right. Running out of patience to see a grass carpet. To get past this psychological factor, I anyways need to put more plants. A java moss which does not require substrate and may be one or two plant species. If u can suggest any , plz do so. I am going on a a biotope (a small section of a river bed simulation) with a mix of Dutch style. Lol just read few things on these.

MontytheDog

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
The tap water is quite hard. It looks little cloudy whereas RO water is crystal clear. I gave a thought on this but wouldn't fertilizer dozing (Flourish Excel) make up for that?
For fishes, then I will go with neon tetras and may be these other species you mentioned if I can get those. How many number of such fishes can I keep?
Our tap water is very hard, but goes through a water softener. I know there's debate on whether or not to use "water softener" water. but the it works just fine for our planted tank and fish. (The only negative might be if you have fish that are super sensitive and need lower PH - hard water is very difficult to lower the PH due).

userxmeuz

AC Members
Feb 27, 2019
OK. I am reading few things on other aspects of fish keeping. Getting ph strips, nitrite test kit and temp. meter. Harlequin Rasboras is what I think of keeping in considering a 10g nano tank. If my information is correct these fishes's natural habitat is soft water but also said are somewhat tolerant to hard too. I am dozing with Flourish Excel, AF carbon boos and also going to put micro nutrients 'Aquatic Remedies Plant health'. It is not that expensive but I shall use. So basically, RO should not be a problem the plus side that it is crystal clear.

userxmeuz

AC Members
Feb 27, 2019
Hi all, I have a dilemma. I have the fluval substrate. I am going to add more of it on the red gravel region to make a thick layer and then top it up with these red gravel . Can I do it? Is there a problem?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
My issue would be that the Fluval gravel/stratum has a smaller grain size than the gravel. So eventually it will work it's way down and the gravel will likely show

Personally I would remove the gravel if the tank is going to remain set up for a long time, but there is really no reason for concern outside of aesthetics

userxmeuz

AC Members
Feb 27, 2019
yeah, right. I get it. I am new to aquarium building. So, if u see my snapshot, I will add more 'fluval' in that region and even out with overall substrate thickness and start using that region for planting.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
If I understand correctly, you are dosing two liquid carbon suppliments and a trace fertilizer, but not a general all purpose fertilizer?
The Stratum substrate should give the plants a nice jump start but eventually you will want a general macro nutrient fertilizer like Thrive or Seachem Flourish.

Also, as Freshy mentioned, you want to properly cycle the tank before adding fishes unless you want to do a fish in cycle, which means adding just a couple or a few at first and waitng weeks to graduallly add more and fully stock.

It will take a while for the carpet to fill in, as you have modest lighting and, are not adding CO2 other than the bottled forms which are limited in effectiveness.

Wisteria is very fast growing and will quickly outgrow the tank, but it can be helpful initially with a fish in cycle as it feeds on excess ammonia produced by the fish.

Harlequin Rasboras are great fish but maybe not the best choice. They are better suited for a slightly larger tank, like 15-20 gallons.

userxmeuz

AC Members
Feb 27, 2019
I have bought Aquatic Remedies Plant Health forumula fertilizer. Active ingredients: chelated iron, zinc, copper, cobalt, boron and other essential micro elements. I am not going for another expensive formulations at the moment. I will go with fish based cycling. I did not setup my aquarium with nitrobacter or something like that. I will have to wait and see the grass carpet if at all it forms but other plant stems are growing rapidly with bunches of leaves.
For fishes somehow i think, 3-4 guppies can be kept in this 9G nano tank. OR just 1 species shoaling fishes say, 5-6 neon tetras

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store