Native Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chenning

AC Members
Oct 2, 2016
My grandson wanted to bring home fish from a local lake as he likes my fish. So, I set up a 29 gal with jave moss, guppy grass, rock piles, driftwood and 2 flower pots. We ended up capturing 6 small sunfish of some type, they are only a 1/4" in size. To top it off I got 2 pairs of Golden Killies. I also added 6 C. Shufeldti crayfish. The fish have only been in the tank a few weeks and the sunfish are growing quickly. The Killies rule the tank and the dominate male chases everyone at feeding time. The crayfish are adults, less than 1/2" I tosses in some PVC sections so maybe the crayfish will reproduce. Next spring I'm going to start a larger tank for natives.

For anyone reading, the sunfish will have to go at 1" as they get very aggressive. Good news is I can always release the current ones and get new smaller guys. I'd like to get some darters, minnows and this time tiny sunfish or bass fry.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Please do NOT release them. These fish have been exposed to non-native items (plants, snails, who knows what else), and may now harbor a that they would introduce to the wild. Additionally, in many states, it is illegal to release any fish into a body of water without a permit (in many states, the simple collecting you are doing and transport of a live fish is also illegal). Please look into NANFA--they specialize in keeping NA natives and will have all the relevant links and can assist in legally re-homing the fish as well. Natives are awesome, but only if done right!

chenning

AC Members
Oct 2, 2016
They will be released in our small pond. No chance of hitting any other water source. None have been exposed to non-natives.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Please, just read up and don't release. This kind of thing reflects poorly on the hobby and negatively impacts all of us.

The Crazy Ape

AC Members
Dec 27, 2016
I have been a North American Native Fish Keeper for about 20 yrs. and any fish that is housed in a tank that has been properly cleaned, contains no other livestock, or plants, pose no risk at all of introducing anything into the wild that is not already in the fish you capture.

I know that NANFA promotes that and i have been a member for many years, but lets get real here.

That advice is not bad in general, but its like the 1 gal. per fish rule, one size does not fit all.

The Crazy Ape

AC Members
Dec 27, 2016
Are you a possum cop ? :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I worked for a G&F, if that's what you're implying. But the bigger issue is that if we, as hobbyists, can't conduct ourselves with integrity, we will lose more than we gain. Laws banning the importation of non-native, laws against selling fish--these are real threats to our hobby. If we can't follow the laws to protect our local habitats, to sustain fisheries elsewhere, we will lose them. Be flip about it if you want, but it's a serious issue, and one that responsible hobbyists will take seriously.

The Crazy Ape

AC Members
Dec 27, 2016
Responsible Fish Keepers, are very aware of the hazards.

Its the ones that have already ruined what was once a pristine habitat, that are the issue, but you or no one else, with your naive, although possibly sincere rantings are going to change or even repair that.

But, given time, and the absence of the human race from this planet, Mother Nature will make all things equal again.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
So..how do you think people become aware? By everyone keeping silent? No, people become aware, and become responsible fish keepers when they are given good information and act upon it. Claiming that 'damage is done, no point in changing our behavior now' is absurd. How else do we grow and improve, if not by changing when new information is presented? We see it all the time; people join the site because they didn't know what they were doing, setup a tank and dumped a bunch of fish in without cycling. They come here to learn from their mistakes, and get it right. No, it won't bring back the fish that died, but it doesn't have to happen again and again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store