Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Native Tank

Discussion in 'General Cold & Temperate Water' started by chenning, Dec 18, 2016.

1. chenning

chenning AC Members

Jan 5, 2017
    My grandson wanted to bring home fish from a local lake as he likes my fish. So, I set up a 29 gal with jave moss, guppy grass, rock piles, driftwood and 2 flower pots. We ended up capturing 6 small sunfish of some type, they are only a 1/4" in size. To top it off I got 2 pairs of Golden Killies. I also added 6 C. Shufeldti crayfish. The fish have only been in the tank a few weeks and the sunfish are growing quickly. The Killies rule the tank and the dominate male chases everyone at feeding time. The crayfish are adults, less than 1/2" I tosses in some PVC sections so maybe the crayfish will reproduce. Next spring I'm going to start a larger tank for natives.

For anyone reading, the sunfish will have to go at 1" as they get very aggressive. Good news is I can always release the current ones and get new smaller guys. I'd like to get some darters, minnows and this time tiny sunfish or bass fry.

FreshyFresh likes this.
  2. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Thursday at 10:26 AM
    Sheila
    Please do NOT release them. These fish have been exposed to non-native items (plants, snails, who knows what else), and may now harbor a that they would introduce to the wild. Additionally, in many states, it is illegal to release any fish into a body of water without a permit (in many states, the simple collecting you are doing and transport of a live fish is also illegal). Please look into NANFA--they specialize in keeping NA natives and will have all the relevant links and can assist in legally re-homing the fish as well. Natives are awesome, but only if done right!

3. chenning

chenning AC Members

Jan 5, 2017
    They will be released in our small pond. No chance of hitting any other water source. None have been exposed to non-natives.

4. OrionGirl

Sheila
    Sheila
    Please, just read up and don't release. This kind of thing reflects poorly on the hobby and negatively impacts all of us.

5. The Crazy Ape

The Crazy Ape AC Members

Jan 24, 2017
    I have been a North American Native Fish Keeper for about 20 yrs. and any fish that is housed in a tank that has been properly cleaned, contains no other livestock, or plants, pose no risk at all of introducing anything into the wild that is not already in the fish you capture.

I know that NANFA promotes that and i have been a member for many years, but lets get real here.

That advice is not bad in general, but its like the 1 gal. per fish rule, one size does not fit all.

6. OrionGirl

Sheila
    Sheila
    It's still not legal in all states.

7. The Crazy Ape

The Crazy Ape AC Members

Jan 24, 2017
    Are you a possum cop ? :)

8. OrionGirl

Sheila
    Sheila
    I worked for a G&F, if that's what you're implying. But the bigger issue is that if we, as hobbyists, can't conduct ourselves with integrity, we will lose more than we gain. Laws banning the importation of non-native, laws against selling fish--these are real threats to our hobby. If we can't follow the laws to protect our local habitats, to sustain fisheries elsewhere, we will lose them. Be flip about it if you want, but it's a serious issue, and one that responsible hobbyists will take seriously.

Tifftastic and dougall like this.
  9. The Crazy Ape

The Crazy Ape AC Members

Jan 24, 2017
    Responsible Fish Keepers, are very aware of the hazards.

Its the ones that have already ruined what was once a pristine habitat, that are the issue, but you or no one else, with your naive, although possibly sincere rantings are going to change or even repair that.

But, given time, and the absence of the human race from this planet, Mother Nature will make all things equal again.

10. OrionGirl

Sheila
    Sheila
    So..how do you think people become aware? By everyone keeping silent? No, people become aware, and become responsible fish keepers when they are given good information and act upon it. Claiming that 'damage is done, no point in changing our behavior now' is absurd. How else do we grow and improve, if not by changing when new information is presented? We see it all the time; people join the site because they didn't know what they were doing, setup a tank and dumped a bunch of fish in without cycling. They come here to learn from their mistakes, and get it right. No, it won't bring back the fish that died, but it doesn't have to happen again and again.

Tifftastic and dougall like this.