Nearly had a tank-tastrophe with one of my 55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Everything I kept out of the broken framed 55 was put in this 55. It was all anubia that I kept (all to the right). It's now an eclectic mess of fish in this tank. 6 gold barbs, a couple BN plecos, a weather loach, a blue gourami, an angel, a small gold jack dempsey and a tiny male feeder guppy that's been in there forever it seems. This is an unheated tank that runs ~68F in the winter and as high as the low 80s in the summer. It was originally set up that way for 3 dojo loaches, the gold barbs and the green barbs that were in there. Only one dojo made it and one green barb picked off the others one by one. That single A-hole of a green barb has lived with the oscar and green sev ever since. LOL

Reactions: dudley

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks TTA. I saw those frames. Problem is, I don't get the notches on them and if/how they would effect how my glass tops fit. To me they look less substantial than the factory one that broke as well.

I've had my fill of 55s at this point anyway.

I wound up giving the broken framed 55 away to someone who wanted it for reptiles.

Hanging on to the stand for now. I'd sell it if the opportunity arose.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I think I'm with you on 55g. They are cheap, but I love my 75g more, almost the same footprint. I've never tried a breeder tank but they seem like a great size too.

I'm just about ready to finish tearing down my dried out 55g crypt grow out tank experiment. Not sure I'm ready to give it away yet but maybe soon. The pine stand has only 1 door in the middle so it's kind of awkward for canister filter, supplies or co2 (the reason I had wanted it from a clubber). I might keep for a big Q tank...

Reactions: FreshyFresh

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want to re-use the stand, a 33 long aquarium is an interesting size for small fish, and good for growing plants because it is not so tall

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, I think I'm with you on 55g. They are cheap, but I love my 75g more, almost the same footprint. I've never tried a breeder tank but they seem like a great size too.

I'm just about ready to finish tearing down my dried out 55g crypt grow out tank experiment. Not sure I'm ready to give it away yet but maybe soon. The pine stand has only 1 door in the middle so it's kind of awkward for canister filter, supplies or co2 (the reason I had wanted it from a clubber). I might keep for a big Q tank...
What scares me about my 75gal, is it also has a plastic center brace that's part of the top frame, although it's more substantial than that of the 55. The tank beneath it is my newest 55 (~2yrs/old). Both are aqueon tanks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My 75g is at least 15 years old. I did have to trim off the back plastic "lip" almost flush to the glass to fit an AC (300/70g) filter on it. It's not a pretty trim job but no one can see it. I don't recall the brand & don't feel like almost standing on my head to see the label underneath if I could see it at all, lol. Sorry Joel, I only like you so much with no acrobatics involved ;)

I think I had a 29g bulge a little once but I don't remember well. A long time ago but no center brace involved either. I may have sold or given that tank away before a move.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store