Necropsy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Does anyone know of a place to send fish for a necropsy?

I think some of my tanks contracted a virus and it's taking a REALLY long time to go away. The deaths have slowed but are still happening.

I'd like to know what's going on. Is it a virus? Do they look like there's some kind of toxin? What the heck is going on. I'd like some idea. An DIY necropsy isn't going to detect a virus.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I'm going to assume you tested your water for metals such as copper?
It would leak from tap from old copper pipes.

Could it be the fertilizer you're using for your plants?

Last edited:

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
A veterinarian specializing in aquatics or exotics could probably do a necropsy for you, but it would likely be pretty expensive. I would recommend doing a full water test of all of your parameters before you decide to send a fish out for it.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It would be cheaper just to empty the tank, bleach it thoroughly and start over if heavy metal/toxin contamination in the water supply can be ruled out.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
If my water is contaminated, I'd have deaths in every tank instead of just three. I have a newish house, custom built with tested well water and PVC pipes. How could a water contamination at that level happen all of a sudden and kill in some tanks but not others?

Of course I tested all my water parameters. It was the first thing I did.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I agree with Slappy. Euthanize as necessary and bust down the tank.

I do not know of any Vets in my area that even look at aquatics and the odds are that it would be cost prohibitive with the required lab work needed. Even few vets can do most advanced tests. You might try to see if there is a Vet school close to you that might be willing to tackle the issue, most likely for free, as part of their training.

I could see only one tank being affected if you reason in the normal differences between species. Some fish are just hardier than others as well as breeding genetics can come into place. Just as we usually see the weakest fish fall to illness/stress first.

Unless you are getting some copper test results in all tanks of large concentrations of copper or heavy metals I would rule that out. If in just that tank, I would look at it coming from the equipment on that tank. I'd even rule out copper if you had copper pipes. Today's plumbing copper is quite a bit different than in much older copper water systems, where the copper wasn't as pure. Even then, it would take some pretty long, stagnant exposure in the pipes or ancient copper tubed water heater to see the copper ions collect to significant levels.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
If it means anything, it seems to be targeting my scaled fishes the most. I've had 4 out of 5 Apistos die and one endler. Then a Cory started to swim funny but got better. That's one tank.

2nd tank is female guppies and two banjo catfish. I've lost a lot of the guppies but the catfish are fine.

In the third tank, 6 out of 6 rainbow fish (I think a virus started with them) and most of my male guppies. I think I only have one make guppy left.

My other tanks are just fine. I have both scaled and scaleless.

Why does everything think it's a water contaminant instead of a viral outbreak?

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Oh right, I understood your post better after rereading.

I'll see if I can find a place that does heavy metal testing just to rule it out.

I think it's got to be a viral outbreak bc I stupidly used the same water changer amongsth the three tanks. But not the tanks where there are no deaths.

But it's been going on for freaking months now. That doesn't seen right for relatively short lived animals.

I'll see if I can find a vet school, thanks.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Hmmm...I think they just want to eliminate the contaminate aspect since viral is so hard to identify specifically. Most viral meds are generic and a non-specific type of treatment...kind of a shotgun treatment.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Is there a possibility that your tanks have a toxin producing cyanobacteria? Perhaps just even a small colony is enough to slowly kill off your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store