Need a few HONEST opinions on adding this snail....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshwaterQueen

AC Members
Apr 15, 2012
Okay, so over the past few days my family and I have been swimming at my moms lake house. It is a man made freshwater lake.. All of the fish that live there are added, all of the wild life in this area has been added from the park/recreation people. Well we were digging in the shallow waters under our feet and a few days ago I came across a HUGE snail. It was about 3 inches long. and I was like WHOA. Well we put it back and I thought nothing of it til later when I got home. So I googled a few opinions and some people have added wild fish/frogs/snails etc to their tanks and had great success. and some did not. Today we had a bucket for water, and I found another big snail. I was wonder what would happen if I added him to my freshwater tank at home. What would be the pros and cons of it. I have not put him in any of my tanks with any fish. he is sitting in the water from the lake. Here is a picture. I want to keep him... Also what about a few freshwater clam/muscles I found. what do you think on all this?

SNAIL.jpg

ConnerFish

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
California
That is a cool looking snail! I think the main con would be if he brought in some parasited or something into you tank. You could quarantine him for awhile and then add him. I have added plants to my aquarium from the river without doing anything and haven't had any problems in the past, but it is up to you. Is your tank tropical and can this guy live in waters that warm? Not sure how warm the water in the lake is.

FreshwaterQueen

AC Members
Apr 15, 2012
First of all; wanted to say thanks! Second of all thats the thing, the lake temps vary with different seasons. just the obvious like freezing in the winter and today the water temperature was around 88 degrees. Maybe higher. and this is not even the hottest of summer. So I feel like they probably adapt very well to the temperature changes. Or they dont live very long and grow very fast lol. Right now I have all of the snails and clams quarantined. Would you think the same about the muscles? I have two green spotted puffers and I have a tank that is JUST for the breeding of common pond snails. So maybe If anything I can just keep him in there? Because there are no fish in it.. idk this is all too much lol

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Looks to be a trapdoor snail. I had some in my BN tanks. One of my favorite snails. I agree that you should quarantine it in case it brought anything along. I kept my snails in the upper 70s.

FreshwaterQueen

AC Members
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks sora. So quarantining them.. how does this kill any parasite?? should I buy something to kill any existing parasites etc. Is this literally just "leaving them contained by themselves?" as by to what you mean as in quarantine

FreshwaterQueen

AC Members
Apr 15, 2012
And sora: thank you for putting a name to them. I just looked them up and yes I agree it looks like a trapdoor snail. I just found a HUGE rack of forums on adding them to fish tanks and got great advice.. thanks!!

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Thanks sora. So quarantining them.. how does this kill any parasite?? should I buy something to kill any existing parasites etc. Is this literally just "leaving them contained by themselves?" as by to what you mean as in quarantine
When I quarantine, I observe if there is anything wrong with the fish/invert first. I usually quarantine for 4 weeks. Some people say less is fine but I rather be safe with the 4 weeks or more. If there is nothing that shows up (parasites, worms, bacteria, etc.) within those few weeks, it is good to add into the tank. If you see something, research what it is, and if it is bad, medicate it. I don't medicate until I see something.

Good luck! They give birth to live babies which is a plus if you want more :)

FreshwaterQueen

AC Members
Apr 15, 2012
yeah, i read that.. but theyre not asexual, and i only have one. womp womp... but now that i know theyre ok to add. ill try to bring a few home. we go fishing there all the time. And i have 5 fish tanks lol. so ill probably get around 5 or 6.

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
I like native setups and go to my favorite ponds for specimens. Collecting fauna is fun and you have your pick of the litter so to speak. I have never collected bottom feeders b4 but with that said I would quarantine it. There is more chance of a parasite or some other unsitely that could be on it. That's why if you have carp in your area you will see them occassionaly jump out of the water. Their trying to throw parasites off their gills. I say this bc carp typically are bottom feeders. But it is your choice and I have never quarantined but when I set my native tank up I only put stuff in it that comes from one location.

Sent from my PantechP8000 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store