need a pure black fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
"Regular" mollies are smaller than sailfins. Balloon mollies are "regular" mollies that have been bred to have a very large round belly and a shorter body. This means that they tend to have digestive problems because of the contorted nature of their organs due to the severe shortening and "fattening" of their abdomen area. I would pick "regular" mollies over balloons any day.

I would not say that one is more aggressive than the other. Mollies are quite peaceful. They are curious and might try to eat things like snails or shrimp just because they are hungry little beggars. They seem to be the most puppy-like of the fish I've encountered. They are always begging at the front of the tank whenever they see me.

I tend to think they do best with very light addition of marine salt as my most healthy ones are in my brackish tank. I've had juvies/adults survive in my 75g freshwater community, but they seemed to grow slower and not be quite as healthy as the ones in my brackish (1.008) tank. I don't think you need to go all the way to brackish, just add a small amount of marine salt. If you go that route, mix up your water in a separate bucket (rubbermaid tubs work great) the night before a water change and make sure that all the salt is completely dissolved. Powerheads work great to make sure the salt gets worked in.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Balloon mollies move somewhat slower and have a shorter shape, but they do have digestive/health issues due to their abnormal abdomen, as was mentioned. If you go with them, definitely make sure they get their greens. Nori was a favorite of my mollies. This was a helpful article for me when I was researching their needs:
The truth about Mollies; Among the most popular aquarium fish, they’re also among the most misunderstood

I agree with making the tank slightly brackish for mollies, maybe 2 tablespoons of marine salt per 10 gallons at first? But do mix it up separately (with a heater and powerhead is best) and use it for your water changes, don't add it in directly.

Sailfin mollies or regular black mollies will eventually outgrow a 14 gallon tank.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
What about a normal black mollie. I dont think they get to big. Just don't keep 2 or be ready for fry.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer

btan

AC Members
Nov 25, 2009
A black betta would definitely be a good choice! Just make sure you don't have any other fish in the tank with big fan like tails in the tank as bettas can perceive them to be competition.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I like balloon mollies, although they definitely have their problems. Regular black mollies would be neat and do not outgrow that tank.

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
I love that tank, FISHSHROD! One of my tanks has a black background, and I was considering changing it to blue, now I can see how it looks. What is your background made of?

rustoleum paint

Devin or Icon

Registered Member
Jul 14, 2017
Black goldfish won't stay black for a long time even if there is one that would fit well there. How about black mollies, guppies and swordtails? Black bettas are very rare though. Hmmm...Black neon tetras?
I understand this post was from many years ago but i was wondering how rare are pure black bettas. I just got a pure black crowntail from my local pet store (pets supplies plus) and decided to look up how rare they are and have not found an answer if you could tell me that would be awesome if not that is ok

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
There are 6 black crowntail bettas out of the 75 crowntail bettas on aquabid. They may be less rare now than they were back when this thread was.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store