Need a SA fish recommendation...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
I have a 55g tank with cardinal and emperor tetras. I also have a pair of clown pl*cos which I never see. What would be a good fish to go with them? I had planned all along on keyhole cichlids, but they ate the cardinals. I need something else. In my barb tank I had the Red Tailed Black Shark, but I want something that is more south or central american.

Tank parameters:

Temp 79.5 degrees

pH 7.2 to 7.6

dH 7 to 9

Plants: barely. I am such a loser when it comes to plants....

I'd be willing to try a pair of discus. Can they do all right in a sparsely planted tank with a slightly basic pH?

I don't particularly like corys. Is there a pleco or catfish that won't get too big or eat the cardinals that actually does something besides hide?

TIA

Val

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
Any cory would be fine. For a larger fish, I think I'd consider a pair of angelfish before starting with discus unless you are well experienced with fish.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by val
.....I'd be willing to try a pair of discus. Can they do all right in a sparsely planted tank with a slightly basic pH?

Val
Try to get 4 Discus. They like to school and seem to feel safer, it's been recommended by 'pros' to have more than 1 or 2. Throw in some driftwood with a saparsely planted tank. Your pH should be fine, but you will need a reliable heater (or 2), and keep the temperature around 86 degrees. Don't let it fall to 82 or less.....

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Discus would be a nice fit in that tank HOWEVER you must consider the amount of extra work involved in keeping Discus. The tank must be in the 84-86 degree range. The water must be clean. I'm talking water changes atleast twice a week. And then there is the question of food. I been told that some people successfully feed dry or freeze-dried food, but IME as they mature they get very, very picky and I've always ended up feeding live and/or frozen food. They will adapt nicely to you water conditions, but be prepared to do some extra work. And Joe is correct about the number. Discus are a schooling fish and would be a lot happier in a school of atleast 4. And if you give them optimum conditions and feed well, those 4 fish will eventually each reach the size of a saucer!!!!
I agree with Tempest. A nice pair of Angels would be a great addition to that tank and far less work. Your choice........
Len

Last edited:

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Aren't angels pisciverous? Won't they try to eat my tetras?

Pat -- I'd love to have flag cichlids, but I can't find them. They were to be my first choice before I got the keyhole cichlids and they ate my cardinals.

What about dwarf rams? Would they try to eat the cardinals...

Thanks,

Val

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
kribs are a great addition to any tank. They swim in the bottom levels of the tank far enough away from your neons that they probably won't bother them unless they (the kribs)are breeding.

You could also try to cockatoo cichlids are really pretty too. But I've never had them so I don't know what they need.

But we might just be missing the obvious here...
You could try to go community with those neons and add some hatchetfish and maybe some boesmans rainbows....that'd be cool lookin

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Kribs are African, not SA/CA cichlids.

Angels will eat neons and cardinals once they get big enough to do so.

Melanotaeniidae, according to Derek Lambert, is endemic to Australia and New Zealand.

I've heard that Apistos are ideal community fish, so the Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid could be a very fine addition.

Be careful with the hatchets...you will want a tighter-fitting cover than usual, and NO GAPS anywhere to be found in the lid. They jump well.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to go with any more community fish as that is what I have. I expect to have 50 cardinals and a dozen emperors when I am done.

I guess I'm looking towards dwarf rams. Anybody had any experience with them???

Val

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store