Need advice on my 80 gallon container pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
We've been having really nice weather in Pennsylvania the past week. I orginally had 3 koi and 2 goldfish. When I went out to check how the fish did over the winter I only saw two of the koi. My poor Jet didn't make it over the winter. Jet was a black moor. He did fine the winter before. Now I know I can't keep the koi in my 80 gallon container pond. I plan on moving them to my aunt's pond which is more than big enough for them. I got them when they were small so I was just waiting until they got a little bigger before moving to my aunt's pond.

I wanted to know how many fish would you guys recommend for an 80 gallon container pond and what kind of fish would you guys get? Do you think if I get another fancy goldfish would do ok? I don't plan on getting any more koi after I move the koi I have later this summer. I'll be cleaning the container pond in a about a week or two. So I'm not going to get any fish until I've cleaned the pond. The pond is a galvanized tub/livestock tank.
So it is quite long and deep.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Do you plan on the fish living in the pond year-round or bringing them in for the winter? I have a slightly larger stock tank pond with comets and shubunkins, and they seem to have done fine out all winter. So far as I know, the fancies don't tolerate the cold as well as the pond varieties. I have been told rosy red minnows would do fine, but would have to be replaced each year as they won't survive the winters...
(sorry if there are type-os, the cat is in my way :) )

As to how many, there is a formula out there for inches of fish to sq ft of surface,( one book says 1-2 inches of fish-excluding tails- per sq ft of water surface, ) kinda like the tank formula of 20 gal per fish, but they will get big, so your two inches of fish may be 6 or 8 inches next year :) and mine at least, seem to have figured out the baby-making thing pretty quickly. I started out with 6 last June, lost 4 to a *%#*&^ heron in October, and when I was out yesterday counting noses, came up with about 16 babies from teeny tiny to almost two inches long!!
Jen

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
No fancies...

Stick to the Comets, Shubunkins and Sarrasa. I would only do 2-3 fish total.

How deep it the pond? Do you heat it in the winter?

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
I plan on leaving the fish outside all year. I don't have the space to set up another tank to keep fish in for the winter. I don't heat my pond, I just leave the filter/pump running all winter so it doesn't freeze over. Ok so no fancy goldfish. I love the fancy goldfish, I'll have to wait to get the another fish tank before I get more fancy goldfish. The pond is 2 feet deep, 2 feet wide and almost 4 feet long (it's 46 inches long). I used the aquarium calculator on the website and I figured it's about 95 gallons instead of 80 gallons. I don't have it filled the to top I usually only have it filled from 80 to 90%. So most of the time it's either 95 gallons to a little over 100 gallons. Although I'm hoping to upgrade to either a 110 gallon or a 150 gallon stock tank. Maybe over the summer I can upgrade. The stocktank I have now has started to get leaks. I have been able to patch the leaks so far. I'm not sure which one to get yet lol.

These are the two stock tanks I'm thinking of upgrading to:

110 gallon
http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/stock-tanks/stock-tank-110-ga-2229862

150 gallon
http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/stock-tanks/stock-tank-150-gal-2229919

Desertponder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2006
Western Colorado
I would not put more than 2 or 3 fish in again. Hardier varieties such as the comets, sarassa, or even wakin if you can find them.

An 80 gallon tank is going to be difficult to keep fish in the winter. You might want to consider a stock tank deicer for next winter.
Also, an 80 gallon tank is going to get pretty warm in the summer as well. Make sure it has some protection from the sun during mid afternoon.
There's no way I could put fish in a tank that size here, it would get way too warm unless it was in the shade.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
My container pond is underneath the the back porch roof. So it is out of the sun but it still gets some light. I may invest in a pond deicer for next winter. I'm planning on upgrading to the 110 gallon stocktank this summer. It's longer and wider than the one i have now. It's just a 3 inches shorter than the one I have now. So 3 goldfish would be my limit? Would I be able to keep maybe 4 goldfish when I get my 110 gallon?

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
If space allows, do the 150.
The 110 you could do 4-5 goldies provided the filtration is up to par. A heater is a good stand-by on really cold nights. I would just keep the pond running if you can and only use the heater as supplemental ice control. I have lost many fish from de-icer's since they are prone to shorting out and not always checked frequently enough.

Desertponder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2006
Western Colorado
Don't use one of the de-icers made for ponds, they seem to be garbage. Everyone seems to have problems with them. Use a stock tanker deicer and you wont have huge problems.
I use a floating one in my 800 gallon tanks and my horses tanks and they do fine. Have used them for years with no problems.

Flower1982

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Jess
I went to my local tractor supply and I looked at both stocktanks. I kind of liked the 110 gallon. It was longer and wider than the one i have now. The only thing is that it is a few inches shorter than the one I have now. The 150 gallon is deeper but it doesn't look as nice. How many fish could be kept in a 150? I would be happy to keep 4 or 5 fish, so I have get the 110 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store