Need advice on painting back of tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wdhdoc

AC Members
Jan 18, 2003
western Pa.
Visit site
Here's a real "newbie" question: what type of paint should be used to paint the back of my all-glass 30 gallon tank black?.Any other advice regarding this paint job?
I plan to put a few African shell-dwellers in this tank if that makes a difference.
Regards and thanks in advance...

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Instead of painting it, I would recommend taping a few pieces of construction paper to the back. It works very well. That's what I did on mine and you just place the tape on the top and bottom rims so you don't ever see it. It's also better because if you change your mind and want another color, you can easily peel it off.

Mrditty

Abused husband, dad
I paint the black of all my tanks Black Gives a sence of added depth to the tank. Any inexpensive spary paint will do.

If you don't like it you can eaisly remove it with a shap razor blade whhen its dry.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I painted the back of a 75 (I used a brush-on enamel, I believe), but I don't think I'll bother. I really don't see a great difference between it and tanks with a plastic background taped in place. I don't know how hard or how easy it would be to remove the paint (has anyone actually done this?), but painting seems like overkill to me.

Jim

Mrditty

Abused husband, dad
A can of spray paint can be had for under $2.00. A paper based back ground would run you that much per foot

I used to manage a highrise window cleaning company and yes it is real easy to remove the paint. The thiker it is the better if you think you might be removeing it.

But I will agree it would be easier to remove a few peices of tape.

But then again I have never had the need to.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Construction paper costs pennies. You should just tape some on the back even if you don't want to and see how it looks because of how cheap it is. You will end up liking it because it looks exactly the same as being painted.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I agree with NJ Devil.. And, actually painting the back seems extreme to me. I sprayed Pam (no stick cooking spray) on glossy black aquarium background and put it on the back of the tank. Use a credit card, or something similar to push or scrape trapped air bubbles that are between the glass and background.

:)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I painted the back of my 55 with flat black enamel...and taped black paper on my 10 gallon....what ever floats your boat...large tanks are better off with paint I think...plus it looks better.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Pics?

Slappy McFish,
Can you share a pic or 2 of the painted glass?

Thanks..

wdhdoc

AC Members
Jan 18, 2003
western Pa.
Visit site
black aquarium back

Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to reply. I think I'll try the black construction paper method, as it appealss to me in that it allows for an easy change of mind if I want to try blue or other background in the future.
It's great to have aquaria central forums to help us newbies!

Regards to all

wdhdoc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store