Need grassy plants!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
I disagree somewhat. I find 2watts per gallon to be low to moderate light with or without CO2. Lighting is the most crital factor for growing plants, CO2 second. At one watt per gallon I dont think any plant will grow at its optimum rate, but the only plants that would have the best chance at that light level are the slowest growing plants. There aren't any grass plants that would fall in that catagory. E tenellus and Dwarf Sag are the easiest foreground grass plants to grow, but I don't think they will do that well without more light. But hey, you can always give it a try.

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
The amount of light and amount of CO2 are actually related.

Light is a certain type of energy. You must remember the plants cannot use this form of energy flat out. If they could, there would be no talk of CO2. Carbon is the base of any organic compound.

read http://www.life.uiuc.edu/govindjee/paper/gov.html for a confusing, yet complete description of photosynthasis which tells why, indirectly, CO2 is just as important as light.

What it essentially said was that Light energy, in its two forms, breaks down CO2 into a usable form of carbohydrates. Which means that light and CO2 could not serve the plant without one another.

This is also a nice site with diagrams: http://photoscience.la.asu.edu/photosyn/education/photointro.html

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I only suggested that Scooter concentrate on CO2 injection first because I assumed that if he adds any more light he'll likely go over 2wpg. Needless to say, without a good CO2 concentration in the tank, he'll probably get an algae bloom.

-Richer

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
CO2 has a great effect at 2watt even less, down to 1 watt/gallon IME.
I've been squawking about this issue that Gloss, hairgrass and other plants don't need 1/2 the light folks use on it of often advise.

At the AGA, Claus mentioned this.
You can go to the Tropica web site to see a nice somewhat technical write on the subject of CO2 effects on a low light aquarium.
A controlled study is nice and they used one plant, Riccia, which is a rather odd plant, from an odd group, but I found the same results several years before hand in practical hobbyist terms with about 60 species of plants. I would extened the species list out to all plants.
Amano has a similar opinion.

I've seen some very nice gloss carpets at 1.5 watts, a 15w light on a 10 gallon tank.
The Gloss looked as good as any I've seen.
Steve Dixon's 125 has 2.1 watt and it's the T-12 bulbs with a few little 9 watt PC's and a regular reflector. The tank is 24 inches deep.
His Gloss and tank looks great. It was on the cover of the first issue of Plant Aquarium Magazine.

I like Dwarf clover. It's nice.
E. tennellus is nice, Cuban chainswords,
Dwarf lobelia is the easiest IMO/IME. I've seen it for sale here a few times.
Anubias nana is nice but cost a fair amount. Crypt x willisii is another nice plant. Those are all nice foreground plants that do well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Scooter

AC Members
Jun 5, 2001
Knoxvegas, TN
Visit site
Wow, thanks all. Now I've got all kinds of decisions to make with regard to CO2 and plants. At least I now have some advice from folks that seem to know what they're talking about. Decisions, decisions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store