Need help choosing a light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
Hi guys, any feedback would be appreciated. Trying to decide between 2 lights, It's for a 55 gal I'm moving everything to. I have a few corals already doing well under a double bright LED. But I would like to get into some more exotic/demanding corals. Anyway here are the choices.

Hagen T5 HO Glo 2x54w for about $230 or the CoraLife T5 HO AquaLight 2x54w for about $200

Here's the current tank, as you can see my puffer is fat and needs more room (suggestions and questions welcomed)
Sorry for quality, it's a phone pic. My camera batteries are charging right now, I'll post better ones if anyone is interested.

IMAG0486.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There's not much difference...but goodness, where are you shopping that the price is that high? I can find either fixture online for closer to $140. If it were me, the big thing would be the cost and availability of bulbs.

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
There's not much difference...but goodness, where are you shopping that the price is that high? I can find either fixture online for closer to $140. If it were me, the big thing would be the cost and availability of bulbs.
I've been checking a few online stores. BigAl's, PetsandPonds, and JlaAquatics. These prices are actually a lot better than buying local lol. I included shipping in the overall cost, forgot to mention that.

Where are they $140?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The reflectors on the Hagen are far superior and will put more light where you need it. If you're a bit handy I have a pair of 2 x 54W T5HO retrofit kits with individual Hagen reflectors for $50 ea. All you need to do is to mount them and install your bulbs.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
A 2 bulb T5 on a 55 gallon will not allow you to keep many other corals than what you are currently keeping and the additional corals you can keep will need to be mouted higher in the tank that you would typically want to. I would suggest a 4 bulb fixture/retrofit or looking into more powerful LEDs.

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
The reflectors on the Hagen are far superior and will put more light where you need it. If you're a bit handy I have a pair of 2 x 54W T5HO retrofit kits with individual Hagen reflectors for $50 ea. All you need to do is to mount them and install your bulbs.

Thanks for the info and the offer. Setting it up is simple, that's no problem. I'll have to look into it, I live in Newfoundland and shipping stuff here is expensive usually. I'd have to order bulbs too, that might get pricey. Trying to stay on budget here because I spend way to much money on my fish lol. If you wouldn't mind pm'ing me with details/pics I'll definitely consider it if it's going to save me money.

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
A 2 bulb T5 on a 55 gallon will not allow you to keep many other corals than what you are currently keeping and the additional corals you can keep will need to be mouted higher in the tank that you would typically want to. I would suggest a 4 bulb fixture/retrofit or looking into more powerful LEDs.

I'm using LED's now and I honestly hate them. My budget is about 250 and the LED's I'd get for $250 barely light up my 35gal. I'd go MH or a 4 bulb fixture over LED. MY problem with LED's is they just die and end up in a land fill, and they're expensive. Hydroponics is also a hobby of mine and I've tested these expensive LED's in that situation vs MH/HPS and the results were embarrassing for the $300 LED vs the $150 HPS and MH units. I know it's a different situation but it left a bad taste in my mouth for LED's. Not only were they about 20% as effective they died and were thrown in the garbage shortly after.

Appreciate the feedback either way, I guess I have some more research to do.

zerosum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
Just to add to this. There's a clueless LFS here that said no need to get new lights for the 55, just use 2 15w t8 50/50 bulbs and everything will be fine lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store