Need help!!! Fish with pop eye! My h

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kris_66

AC Members
Nov 21, 2010
Moreno Valley, California
Real Name
Kristina
My husband saw 2 dead female congo tetras today...both had what we found out was pop eye. Yesterday all his fish were fine, swimming around and eating. Today, 2 dead fish. We saw another that was showing had the eye protruding too, so we removed her from the tank and put her in our son's 10g for quarantine.

We bought some maracyn 2 and treated that tank.

He changes his water 30 percent every week, and his parameters are perfect. The other tank mates are 6 julii cory's, 3 male congos, 1 blue ram, 1 gold ram and 1 bolivian ram. There were 5 female congos. Water temp is 80 degrees. Feeding them Kens fish food, which is a variety of vitamin flakes and color flakes. We also give them frozen brine shrimp 1 or 2 days a week.

He was reading on the internet that it could possibly be a bacterial disease, and something about gas build up in the tank? He has a cascade 1000 filter and a HOB that generates good flow at the top of the tank's water edge.

Please advise what are possible causes of this problem and steps for us to try to make sure none of the other fish will have this happen. We don't want to lose any more fish from this :(

:help:

kris_66

AC Members
Nov 21, 2010
Real Name
Kristina
well after turning on the tank light, I discovered another fish dead. One of the male congo tetras. I am in the middle of a water change as I have NO idea what to do and it seems after many views, NO ONE is willing to offer advice. I know this can be from a multitude of scenarios, but this fish did not have a pop eye like the other 3.

If this is a parasitic problem what can I do to treat the tank as a whole so my husband doesn't lose any more fish. He is at work all day so I have to figure this out, and has stated if he loses them all he will give up on the hobby. He called a LFS yesterday that we go to and they said to treat the tank with copper. I dont want to do this until I know its ok to do so.

PLEASE help!!!

kris_66

AC Members
Nov 21, 2010
Real Name
Kristina
the tank has been cycled for 2 months. First fish we bought were 5 female congo tetras. A week later we bought 3 male congo tetras. Another week passed then we bought a bolivian ram. About 10 days ago I bought him a balloon blue ram, but it had died about 4 days later. Wasn't a very active fish...dont know why it died. Wasnt pop eye. Think it was stress due to it being new to the LFS when I bought it then getting transported to my house. Last week we bought 1 gold ram, 1 blue ram and 6 julii corys.

Water parameters have always been within the acceptable ranges. He tests every say 3 days. Water changes every week. When he did his tests yesterday ammonia and nitrites were 0, nitrates were 20. Fish have seemed fine till the deaths we found yesterday.

Just finished a 50% WC. Just worried about his other fish dying too :( We don't want to lose any more

david mcgregor

AC Members
Mar 29, 2010
fish with popeye

hi, kriss 66

what size tank have you and give u infol on what to do. has congo tetra still got popeye.
and any more fish got it. is substrate sand or gravel, and text u back.:thm:

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
+1 for what size tank is this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store