Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Need HELP identifying growth in tank!?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by dahdahlv, Aug 22, 2018.

1. dahdahlv

dahdahlv AC Members

Amanda
    Oct 17, 2018
    Amanda
    See attached pic for the green slime I found coming out of the filter. Also, I have noticed a lot of dark green fish poop and instead of brown algae on the glass it just looked cloudy. What am I dealing with?

20180822_182013.jpg

2. dahdahlv

dahdahlv AC Members

Amanda
    Oct 17, 2018
    Amanda
  3. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Tuesday at 11:09 PM
    Jessica
    That is exactly what it is, Green-Slime-Algae.

dougall likes this.
  4. the loach

the loach AC Members

Today at 6:02 AM
    The cloudiness of the glass is just bio film. You can just wipe it off.
    Is the tank planted?

5. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Wednesday at 9:24 AM
    Sheila
    Tell us about your water change regimen.

6. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:38 AM
    Yep, it's cyanobacteria, a bacteria not an alga. You can "try" a 4 or 5 day total blackout (no tank lights or ambient light from room &/or windows, wrap the tank in trash bags) but that often doesn't work for long.

I notice your water level is very low & likely you filter flow is slow. Vacuum out all the cyano you can, often!, clean your filter! I bet it's been a while. I sometimes get cyano with too much high window light & plants blocking good water flow. It can also be from too high or too low nitrate level & maybe high temps. Change more water, more often!

You can kill it with antibacterial treatment, but unless you correct what's allowing cyano to thrive, it will come back!

FreshyFresh likes this.
  7. DefJ123

DefJ123 AC Members

Today at 6:59 AM
    You poor soul. Looks like Cyanobacteria to me. This stuff is a real nightmare. I had it in my 10g and it was awful to get rid of. You need to identify whats allowing it to thrive. Hows your water change schedule? Feeding schedules? Lighting schedules?

So heres what I did. I spot treated with hydrogen peroxide on the affected areas. Do a large water change, then tank black out. I did mine for a week. No peaking, feeding fish, etc. Cyano lives on photosynthesis same as algae but is capable of producing its own nitrogen cycle to feed itself. You have to starve it. I also dosed Ultralite Reef Products blue green slime remover , which did a lot of the main removal.

As mentioned, you need to find whats allowing it thrive before doing this or it will come back even worse. Do lots of research on the internet to get some ideas.

Do not let anything thats been in contact with this tank touch any other tanks or they will be infected too. Mine came from an lfs infected tank. When I added my fish, i netted them in with no qt (ahh novice mistakes) and that was all it took.

8. the loach

the loach AC Members

Today at 6:02 AM
    Is the water level this low normally or done during a water change for the picture? Is it slimy and smells or hairy ?
    If it is not in the tank, just on the filter I wouldn't worry about it, just clean it.
    It's not dangerous to the fish, just unsightly. Common to happen in newer tanks and unplanted tanks. Once the tank is more established with plants they will outcompete it.

9. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Tuesday at 11:09 PM
    Jessica
    Honestly, the only success I have ever had was using antibiotics.

ustabefast likes this.
  10. ustabefast

ustabefast AC Members

Gregg
    Saturday at 6:07 PM
    Gregg