Need help with African Dwarf Frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
Have you checked your ammonia levels? When I first got my froggies they did the same thing and it ended up being the ammonia was too high. They also do this zen position. Mine typically dont do it at the top of the tank though. They do it more in the bottom. Like they are standing on their hind legs all chill and relaxed. Its very cool. She could be doing just that only at the top but I would still check the water to be safe.

Wolverine45

AC Members
Oct 18, 2010
Hey Melissa,

What should the level be? I will check it ASAP! Also, if it is too high do I just change the water out?

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
You really want the ammonia to be as low as possible. This is why a lot of people kill off their frogs by keeping them with goldfish. The goldfish produce so much ammonia and the frogs just cant handle it. They will literally try to climb out of the water often times sticking to the tank glass at the very edge of the water level. If the ammonia is high yes do a partial water change. I know amquel plus is also safe for dwarf frogs. I have my frog sitter use it when Im on vacation rather than trying to get them to do a water change.

Wolverine45

AC Members
Oct 18, 2010
Melissa,

WHOA!! You were right...I added some drops of Stress Coat and within 10min they were swimming around fine!

I just did a partial water change so they are a little upset with me right now, but no more floating to the top of the tank and peaking their heads out.

Thank you SO much!! I had no idea since I had just cleaned their water a few days ago!!

How often do you do a partial water change?

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
I do have a filter with mine. They dont produce tons of ammonia on their own but I figured since there will usually be uneaten worms and such keeping the water filtered and also keeping it moving was a good thing. I test my water in all of my tanks every other day unless I see something that makes me test it on the off days. As for water changes for the frogs I only do that once a week but again if the testing shows to do it sooner I just do it. As long as they are on the bottom of the tank and only coming up for air and then popping right back down to the bottom they are usually ok.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I would DEF suggest having a tank filter for your frogs. You want to make sure that the amonia is as close to zero as possible. Once your tank has cycled you will want zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and a minmum level of nitrates. To keep the amonina down while you are cycling, you will most likely have to change the water often...I had to do mine everyday during the cycle, but I am not sure how that would work if you have no filter on the tank..I am pretty sure that beneficial bacteria needs some sort of oxygen flow in the water to get started, which is also important to your frogs health. They absorb things through their skin, so you want healthy water. Like Melissasroja said, they do the zen thing...which I call "the happy place". Sometimes they will even look like they are stiff and fall over backwards while doing it, but they get back up again. Silly frogs. :)

Wolverine45

AC Members
Oct 18, 2010
Hi Ashes!!

I have a 2.5 gallon tank...what type of filter do you suggest?

And, what is the best way to test ammonia levels? I got some test strips...but, they aren't that great.

Thanks!!

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I prefer the API liquid freshwater test kits. I think they are the most accurate. for a 2.5 gallon, you could look into getting a small HOB (hang on the back) filter, or you could look into making or buying a small sponge filter. I have never had a tank that small, but I imagine just looking around at your LFS or even a chain store, you could find a decent little filter. You could also post a thread here on AC asking people what their choice would be to filter a 2.5 gallon. :)

Wolverine45

AC Members
Oct 18, 2010
Ashes, thanks so much!!

Would I also need some kind of pump for the filter? I thought ADFs did not like current in the tank?

I will post another thread asking about small filters. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store