Need help with new set up - we keep finding dead fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

prtlndblnd

Registered Member
Sep 14, 2012
I raised neon's and tetra's as a child and then had goldfish for many years. I never had issues with the gf and they were raised in a large bowl which was not cleaned nearly as often as it should have been. So, I have a little experience with fish.

Last spring our 7 year old brought home a feeder gf from school (summer vacation and it needed a home). We did not have a tank so put it in a 18 gallon rubbermaid tote bin in the yard. Not ideal but we told him if it survived the summer (the rest of the fish at school did not live too long) we would buy a tank. So 3 weeks ago we got a 10 gallon tank, live plant, gravel and a "decoration". All from the big chain pet store, along with 4 other feeder gf. We got the water temp in the upper 60's to low 70's and let them float in the bag before releasing. Within a few days they started dying. I changed out half of the water (we are on well, no chlorine or treatment) but they continued to die. I cleaned out the tank and let it sit with water for a day then we bought 3 new fish and 2 new plants from a different big chain pet store. The first (a very small feeder.. because he thought it was "cute") died in about 36 hours. That was Wednesday. This morning (about 84 hours in) I did about 35% water change with fresh water at the same temp as the tank, 68-70. Tonight we lost one of the other (not sure what kind - fat, fancy tail, but very small and only cost $3 each) and the other does not look so good. I sort of assume that this is due to ammonia, based upon my reading. I keep seeing to "cycle" the tank but that seems awfully complicated with all the testing. And I just don't get why I raised gf for years as a kid, in much smaller tank, and never had this issue.

So... any advice? Am I making this "cycle" thing out to be a bigger hassle than it is? Are there other cold water fish which are easier to raise? While I don't mind getting a filter or aerator if it would help, I don't want to get a heater because we are rural and losing power in the winter is pretty much a given. Thanks!!!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Your tank was overstocked and not cycled. Goldfish need a lot more space than what you were giving them, contrary to popular belief. Very rarely do goldfish live to their proper lifespan (sometimes well past 10 years) kept the ways that most do, unfortunately.

Definitely give the above link a read. I'd highly suggest cycling without fish and using that time to research a better stocking plan for your 10 gallon than goldfish. This is just an estimate, but I'm sure the serious gf keepers would recommend at least a 30g if you still want to go that route. There are other, smaller "coldwater" fish that may work but none are going to be as readily available as goldfish.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too think that you need (must) go through a cycle. Once pass that you "SHOULD" have no more problems.

PS--You do not need a heater with GF.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
It sounds like you're not using a filter of any kind also based on what you said (that you wondered if you should buy a filter or an aerator). Am I correct in assuming that?

If so that's your first priority. If you're interested in keeping fish and may not want to put in as much as some others you can look into "fish-in cycling". Most would recommend not doing that but I started keeping fish with no experience and had no choice. It went well once I started using a chemical called prime to neutralize ammonia and did a water change every day or two until it was cycled.

Sent from my awesome new Samsung Galaxy S3 using MAN app!

CrustaceaCurtis

AC Members
Feb 17, 2012
North of Boston
If conducting water tests and maintaing a filter is too much if a commitment, then fish-keeping is not for you.

djlamonica

AC Members
Sep 16, 2012
Yes go buy a filter and it should solve most of your problems buy a bottle of water conditioner and follow the instructions. Stop buying feeder fish there supposed to die and at a chain pet store like are kept in abysmal conditions often are in the process of dying before you even buy them. Once you set your filter up let it sit for a few days I would highly suggest buying a small heater for a tank that size it won't cost hardly anything to run at all. if you go the filter and heater route let us know and we can give you better ideas on stocking. And take the advice from the people at those chains with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store