Need Help with RBTA

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Looks ok to me.. recent split that is healing (you can tell by the tiny new tentacles starting to grow at the rim/mouth area). It will take about a month to fully heal but it still looks healthy to me so just give it time. :)

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
I have an update

I looked at my Anemone at night with a flash light and found it deflated with his guts out. They were definitely his gust and not poop. It stayed like that for a while. In the morning it looked fine again. That was weired. I saw a mushroom ones do that for maybe 15 min. What does it mean? Do they just air the guts ones in a while? I did a 4Gal out of 30 water change yesterday. Could that trigger it? There is so much I am learning about the aquarium critters life cycle and behavior that I have not discovered on the net yet.
img_0047 (Modified).jpg
img_0048 (Modified).jpg

img_0047 (Modified).jpg img_0048 (Modified).jpg

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
I followed the good advice given me here and left the RBTA alone. It was sitting in its rock for almost three days. Then, it felt adventurous and started moving. It moved all the way to the top on the back glass between the coralia and the overflow at night. I caught it floating towards a powerhead this morning, that was close. It settled close to the old place and opened up. I examined it and found a white ball hanging from the mouth (?). I thought maybe it was hungry and tried feeding it a chunk of prawn shrimp. I was lucky, it ate it. That was the first time I was successful at feeding it.
And the current pic:
img_0053 (Modified).jpg

img_0053 (Modified).jpg

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
Yet another update:
Rosie moved back to the crevice it was on 09/05/10. It looks good so far (knocking on wood).

I see some views of the thread, so I will keep posting. Hopefully, it is useful for some of you.

I was looking at some literature on-line and could not find much on Anemones. Thing that I found were just basic stuff. Is there a book on Anemones that would have detailed info on them? This site is very useful, but most of the post here are about problems and not solutions (I am talking about Anemone section). Any suggestion or advice is welcome.
Thank you.

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
I thought it was time for another update.
RBTA is doing fine. It is eating small pieces of prawn and sitting in one spot. Here is the pic from today:
img_0067 (Modified).jpg

img_0067 (Modified).jpg

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Not sure how I missed this update, but very glad to hear that things recovered just fine :). I had suspected it would.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Wow.. I also totally missed the updates on this thread. Glad to hear it has recovered. Now that I see this thread I wanted to respond to this.

I looked at my Anemone at night with a flash light and found it deflated with his guts out. They were definitely his gust and not poop. It stayed like that for a while. In the morning it looked fine again. That was weired. I saw a mushroom ones do that for maybe 15 min. What does it mean? Do they just air the guts ones in a while? I did a 4Gal out of 30 water change yesterday. Could that trigger it? There is so much I am learning about the aquarium critters life cycle and behavior that I have not discovered on the net yet. ]
I never really thought about it much before, but you mentioning this, especially about mushrooms, brought back some memories from my first days of reefing. I used to have green hairy mushrooms that would spit its guts out after a water change. I am wondering now if it had to do with water quality issues (lack of understanding at that point by me) because I was using RO water from grocery store dispensers at that time.

So, that said, question I have for you is what is your water source and salt type?

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
lol you found my thread!

I use RO/DI and measure the hardness with the TDS-3 meter. It has always showed 0 TDS. My salt is Reef Crystals. I mix it in a 5Gal jug and aerate with an air stone for at least 24 hours. Sometimes days. I also use refractometer to measure the salinity and match it to the tank. It stays at about 1.025. Top-offs RO/DI. I also heat the replacement water to match the tank water when the temp difference is more than 4 deg C.
Well, that airing the guts out has not happened since the last time I saw it. maybe it was still adjusting.

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
I don't understand one thing: how these amphiypods can crawl all over anemone and not get eaten?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store