Need help with sluggish Jack Dempsey... :-(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spinjector

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
Hi all,

I recently picked up a trio of the newish Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, each about 3cm in size. About a week after getting them, one became suddenly ill, and went from active to dead in 24 hours. The LFS was kind enough to give a refund.

Now of the remaining two, one is active and friendly and growing well, but the other has fallen behind in growth and personality. He frequently hides out in the plants, or behind the powerhead, and when at the surface points his nose up like he wants to jump out of the water. He is not eating well, despite trying various foods like flakes & pellets, as well as frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, and tubifex. His fins are not clamped, and he does not appear to have any fungi or parasites. He is not being badgered by any of his tank mates, yet seems stressed.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get this kid eating, and his Electric Blue puppydog personality back?

Thanks.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
The others will pick on a smaller on causing it to become disconnected from the group you may try to create, Remove the fish to a QT tank and let him grow and re introduce him when they are equal size

spinjector

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
Well ok I will consider that, but the EBJD's are much less nasty than the regular ones. And I have carefully watched their behavior, and the larger one doesn't bother anyone else in the tank - he even leaves the regular fish alone.

spinjector

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
FYI - I came home from work today and the two JD's were down in the plants hovering side-by-side about an inch apart, so I don't think the healthy one is picking on the sick one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store